• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mustang carnage.........

I've seen several cars that have torn at the brake master cylinder mount...

You definitely need an inner reinforcement plate after the damage is repaired. I'd also consider running a tubular brace in the engine compartment from the Master cylinder/clutch area forward to the shock tower. IIRC, it was "roadracer" (aka Charlie Jones) who built one of those after observing quite a bit of firewall flex on his car - said it tightened up the braking quite a bit. I'll see if I still have some pictures.

I once did the same thing with a 77 Chevy Monza V8/4-speed. Kept eating clutches so we put a HEAVY duty clutch in. Promptly pulled the clutch cable right thru the firewall. Drilled a hole in a 6x6 piece of 1/8" steel plate, put it together and sold the car... :wth

Rick, I am just now seeing this post. Sorry for the problem, but that is what you get for taking the garage queen out of the garage. You should know better. That clutch M/C would still be fine if you had left the car parked in the garage where it belongs. Those of us that drive our cars are used to stuff falling off, but this must be quite a shock for you. You did mention that you missed some of the fun of building the car, so now is your chance to recapture that fun.

"ko67" said:
Rick, I am just now seeing this post. Sorry for the problem, but that is what you get for taking the garage queen out of the garage. You should know better. That clutch M/C would still be fine if you had left the car parked in the garage where it belongs. Those of us that drive our cars are used to stuff falling off, but this must be quite a shock for you. You did mention that you missed some of the fun of building the car, so now is your chance to recapture that fun.

I'll sue you......

You can't sue Kev because he's a total freakin rock star from Mars

Sorry to hear about your clutch failure but it doesn't appear to be anything a little :gs and duct tape can't fix.

I have an auto and yes it's boring! I have heard this was an issue but thought the hyd set-up was easier on the car than a cable.
Good luck fixing that baby up!
Someday mine will be manual but not for a while, unless I put the 5.0 in it and put the 429 in the drag car.

Stripped her down this morning, few pictures of the damage

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 105
Its beaten up seriously.
Doesn't your clutch pedal rest on some kind of support( when fully depressed ) so you can't depress the cylinder to its fully 100%.
Yeh , bad explaination but I hope you know what I mean :stu

WoW, there's more damage than I thought! Maybe it might be better to find a doner firewall piece from someone with a parts car? Then, you could build and attach a reinforcement plate on the doner piece *before* installing the patch in the car.

I know I had a heck of a time shaping a reinforcement plate for my 67. However, I'm not a pro metal/body guy, so it took me awhile to get the shape right. It definitely would have been easier if I were working on a patch panel out of the car.

Keep posting pics when you do the work. I'd like to see how you go about fixing it.

Good luck!

Rick, pound that sh*t all straight again, weld up the crack & grind it smooth. Get some pasteboard and start making two (2) templates - one for the inside & 1 for the outside - for the reinforcing plates. Mark all of the holes - then mark your new drilled/mounting holes all around the edges. Get some snazzy looking buttonhead type bolts to secure it with and clamp it all together over the firewall.

I owe sluggo a huge thanks and an apology. He busted his arse and made up a bad@$$ bracket to support the firewall from the inside and out. He drove up to Katy and cut out a donor firewall to use as a template. The he got it out UPS. (thats the huge thanks)

The apology is that I havent finished it yet...... I got the bracket it, bolted up, got the clutch MC and the brake MC back in along with the prop valve for the brakes, still need to bleed both. Got the pedal assembly back in and mounted. I still need to put the steering column back in, button up the interior, etc. Kinda like Nick (Dodgestang's) post, I suck at working on cars lately (not that I was all that great before), either that or murphy has been standing on my shoulder this whole time pissing in my cheerios, anything that could go wrong, did. I've never had a project seem to fight me every step of the way like this one has. I've been frustrated so many times the past week trying to finish this. I've walked away from the car for hours, even days because I have been so frustrated working on it. Part of it I think is that I feel like Peter Griffin tryin to work on a %#&$* Miata, crawling my fat @$$ under the dash and get my meatly claws in there to work around the MC's.

Now if I can find some time in the next week between work and family to finish this thing up and get some miles under it, I MAY make it to the MCA show this weekend.

I have some pictures, somewhere of Sluggo's bad@$$ handy work. I get them posted, soon.

Thanks Again Sluggo. I really appreciate you busting your @$$ to help me out.

Back