• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

Today Ive been working on the cart and removing all the fasteners holding the trans and engine in the car (its ready to to lift out). Also removed some misc small items and bagged/tagged (brake lines, e-brake, gas pedal etc). Will have pics tomorrow when the engine and trans are out and the front suspension is off.

Today got the engine and tranny out in a couple of hours. Made some temp provisions on the cart so I could move the Colt. Cart will be completed tomorrow and then the front suspension will be next to be removed,

Attachments

• Engine pull2.JPG
    794.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Engine pull.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Engine pull3.JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 52
My colleague from work (Rodger) volunteered to assist me in removing the front suspension which we did successfully yeasterday. Started out with pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw and drinks. We finsihed in about an hour and a half. Thanks, Rodg ( he admitted that he had never worked on an old car before and really like the experience and that he now wants to buy a Mustang !!).

Attachments

• Lt side susp.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Lt side susp2.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Rt side susp.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Rt side susp2.jpg
    926.4 KB · Views: 36
Finished assembling the temporary wooden cart that will be used to transport the Colt to the media blaster and the painter. The few items that remain to be removed are under the dash, steering column/box, dash pod etc. Hope to send the Colt to the stripping shop next weekend. Cart came out really sturdy and under $180.

Attachments

• Finished cart (5).JPG
    779.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Finished cart (4).JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Finished cart (3).JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Finished cart (2).JPG
    558.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Finished cart (1).JPG
    647.6 KB · Views: 43
Last night worked on removin the steering column & box, wiring, emerg cable, brake line. One more session and I should have the Colt stripped and ready for the blast booth. :yah

Yesterday I finished removing, bagging & tagging everything from under the dash. The only things left on the bare body are the brake line & fuel line (both full length front to back). I will remove them this week and am planning on taking the body to the stripping shop nxt Friday.

Attachments

• DSCN1821.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN1827.JPG
    541.1 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCN1828.JPG
    530.7 KB · Views: 217
Removed the full length brake and fuel lines tonight, the rubber snubbers for the rear end and the final few small pieces/brackets before the Colt goes to the media blaster tomorrow. I will take pix as he makes the trip. He is naked except for paint and grease (underneath). Then off to the painter for a coat of primer and the start of the metal repair (which isnt much).

Took the Colt to the media stripper this afternoon, should be bare metal in about two weeks (right about the time I return from Washington state with my Mach 1). He has started stripping the hood and trunk lid in recent days.

Attachments

• Stripper.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 185
  • stripper4.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 165
  • stripper7.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 43
I visited my media stripper today, he said I should have my Colt back next Friday sans paint. Next step is to apply primer before starting metal repairs.
:yah

A week ago Sunday I collected my coupe from the media stripper and transported him to my friend Toms shop where we will apply primer and repair the few spots of rust. Yesterday I spent several hours blowing out the crushed glass and bicarbonate soda. I also started straightening some bent metal.

Attachments

• Bare metal body (5).JPG
    760.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Bare metal body (8).JPG
    850.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Bare metal body (6).JPG
    770 KB · Views: 43
  • Bare metal body (2).JPG
    848.3 KB · Views: 36
Day three prepping for primer and shooting it. Engine bay (inside and out) and underneath remain bare and will be done next.

Attachments

• primer (2).JPG
    401 KB · Views: 31
  • primer (3).JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 27
  • primer (5).JPG
    607.8 KB · Views: 31
  • primer (7).JPG
    567.5 KB · Views: 26
  • primer (6).JPG
    603.1 KB · Views: 23
More SPI grey primer laid down tonight (underside of hood & trunk, engine bay, inside of both doors, front wheel wells, 2nd coat on roof, rockers & quarter panels, trunk). Started repairing the rust in the doors. Impressive cutting, Tom Mc !! This Saturday we start replacing the front floors and maybe add the torque boxes.

Attachments

• More primer (6).jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 26
  • More primer (5).jpg
    700 KB · Views: 21
  • More primer (2).jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 23
Nice work so far! I like the dolly to roll it around... Looking at your car is like a flashback to mine, I think we have twins.
1130400001_large.jpg

1130400094_large.jpg

But now it looks like this....
IMG_3014.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks Ryan and Tunsten,

Ryan: You must have seen my Facebook album that shows the Mach migration.

Tungsten: I really like your new color and TT II rims. They are on my short list.

Spent the morning massaging the new torque boxes so they fit (did not have to cut them in half, trimmed some corners and re-bent the top tabs). Did not weld them in. Started cutting the rusty holes from the front floors.

Attachments

• Torque box fit.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Torque box fit2.JPG
    537 KB · Views: 23
  • Floor rust (1).JPG
    861.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Floor rust (4).JPG
    823.1 KB · Views: 22
Recently Ive been busy working on the floor pan removal, drilling spot weld holes in the torque boxes and today welded up some holes I had put in the chassis over the years. Pass side floor is ready to weld up, driver side floor is almost ready to weld up (still have some trimming and spot weld hole drilling on the floor).

Attachments

• Brolin drilling (1).JPG
    792.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Floor repair (2).JPG
    754.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Floor repair (1).JPG
    990 KB · Views: 27
  • Trunk repair (1).JPG
    750.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Trunk repair (2).JPG
    689.2 KB · Views: 26
I ordered a set of Competition Engineering sub frame connectors two days ago and they arrived today. Hope to install them this weekend.

Edit: I test fitted the connectors and they couldnt fit any better. P E R F E C T fit tight against the floor pan and NO cutting required. Will need to remove a little powdercoating to weld them in. Pics to follow.

Back