• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

FiTech (EFI) and Venting

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
Those running an EFI in-tank pump/return system, how did you go about venting the tank? The clock is ticking on me and I have more than enough to keep me busy up until the HRPT without trying to reinvent the wheel.

i don't think an old style vented cap is the way to go. Being a return system I'm guessing there is more pressure build-up potential than just the old hot sun beating down on the car scenario. Maker claims cap not enough as well. You know how I am. I'll spend a week researching and then designing something and, well...I ain't got a week to waste! Hoping one of the new guys has been down this path already.

Interesting, we have the return on our Ford SEFI system going right back into the tank with the original cap being our only vent. Not sure that it can or can't be compared to the FiTech system. We are running a 200 LPH Walbro inline pump for reference.

Obviously, I'm just going off instruction and what I have read online, Ken. I'm using a Walbro 255 but certainly comparable. I am not using the stock cap either. I think I will try and source a pressure actuated vent of some kind and see how "high" I can mount it under the car somewhere if no one chimes in with a better idea.

I'm running a stock 5.0 setup and I don't have a separate vent other than the standard gas cap.

But maybe I just haven't driven it enough to notice yet.

What happens when you don't have the venting?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

What happens when you don't have the venting?
Built up pressure in the tank that could cause problems not the least of which is the cap flying off at fill up and getting sprayed with gas!

I'm guessing I'm more worried than I should be but like I've said a hundred times, when I am done with this car I'm done. Don't want to have to come back a "fix" anything.

No doubt the internet is full of experts that will lead you astray. As you are short on time, maybe try a stock cap and work on more pressing issues. We have well over 4,000 hard miles in a hot environment with zero venting issues.

Considering when the engine is running you are taking a lot more fuel out of the tank than you are returning, I would worry about a vacuum if not enough venting. When parked, the tank acts like any other 50 year old Mustang tank and the stock cap would be sufficient.

Then again, not dealing with this myself I have not researched it.

Have you tapped into the tank somewhere for the vent line?

The tank features a drop in from the top pump assembly that has a barbed fitting for a vent line. I'd just have to make yet another hole:mad: in the trunk somewhere to run it out. I'm not fixated on this at the moment just on the list to resolve. it is stopping me from installing all the fancy upholstered trunk panels I made though!

I've daily driven my car with Fitech without a vent line to the rear for over a year no problems I've noticed. It prolly should have a line run back to the tank, tho.

Built up pressure in the tank that could cause problems not the least of which is the cap flying off at fill up and getting sprayed with gas!

I'm guessing I'm more worried than I should be but like I've said a hundred times, when I am done with this car I'm done. Don't want to have to come back a "fix" anything.
I am still having an issue with the car stalling on cold starts. Could that have anything to do with the venting issue?

I don't think so. Are you letting the fuel unit prime? I turn the key and it primes for a couple seconds and then I fire it right up. But I haven't had super cold mornings here in Texas, one or two mornings in the upper 30's maybe no issue.

Yeah I let it prime. Then when I crank it it starts, stumbles for a few seconds and dies. Then when I restart it its a bit rough for a few seconds then runs fine.

Sorry Terry, not trying to hijack your thread.

What kind of fuel delivery system are you using? I've never had a issue where it stalled at start up. Had a few where it stalled coming to a stop after dropping out of gear.

I'm running an external electric fuel pump to a stock 5.0 EFI system with nylon fuel lines. Stock fuel tank with a return added in the fuel sender unit.

I've daily driven my car with Fitech without a vent line to the rear for over a year no problems I've noticed. It prolly should have a line run back to the tank, tho.
You have a wide open, full time vent so naturally no issues other than a real potential for disaster in the even of an accident. You need to run that line to the rear or you can be dumping fuel everywhere!

And at the risk of being called the grammar police, and please don't take offense,...PROLLY is not a word!!! The word is probably. Drives me nuts. There is a whole generation of people out there who I think actually believe it to be correct. Speech and grammar matter in the world of employment. First impressions and all. Let's leave the sketchy stuff to the Camaro crowd. Goes with their mullets! We Ford guys are more better edumicated.

My apologies, kind sir, for assaulting your senses with my poor taste in grammar. Lol

I have not notice any actual leakage, but there are signs that it may drip here or there. I agree that there should be a return line to the filler neck for the Fitech.

Brett (and anyone else that is new here),

Unlike most other car sites that dictate what can and cannot be said (typed), there are no language or opinion restrictions here (just no nip or fur pics). We are all adults (well, some are) and are capable of intelligent conversation. We do expect though that we conduct ourselves in a thoughtful, easily understood fashion. Meaning, that we make a full attempt at spelling, grammar and sentence structure. There is no reason to type in all lower case with no periods, comas , etc...Besides, it makes it way too hard to figure out what the hell you may be asking!

I'm not saying we are all great at this, I'm just saying, take some time to post your questions, thoughts or jokes. Use spell check and for the love of god, don't use "prolly" around TERRY.

Clarification: Redneck slang is acceptable :D

Back