• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

cowl and firewall alignment???

First and foremost, make sure your frame rails are in the proper position. I have a copy of a frame chart if you need it. With the fender / door gap established be sure to bolt the fender at the lower rocker, and also to the upper A pillar to set the back of the fender relative to the door. The fender will likely conform up front when you bolt it down up front causing the fender to bow slightly at the wheel opening. Dont just hang the fender loose expecting it to fall into place everywhere, you'll need to firmly attach it to properly set your gaps / alignment. You'll notice as you start bolting the fender down that the gaps will change slightly due to slight bowing and probably cause you to go back and forth tweaking things here and there.

The order I went with on mine was doors to body, fenders to doors, cowl to fenders, hood to cowl, hood to fenders... When working with the fenders also install the headlight buckets, and stone sheild to properly maintain the front fender alignment. Once you get it rough, you can see if you need to tweak anything.

I agree that laying them up there isn't optimal, but I have no fender bolt holes on the apron. Anybody want to get a rub of there's so I have a template to drill mine?

Also, does the fender use shims on the bolts for alignment? It's been a while since I took this off and I can't remember.

Bill

No shims on the fender along the aprons. You should be able to adjust the flange up or down to suit.

The drivers frame rail is 1/4 inch higher than the passenger. I measured that and that's what I found measuring at the bumper bracket holes. I'm 100% positive that they were correct before I cut out the cowl and firewall, as I was extremely thorough with this before I welded in the frame rail. Somehow, it has shifted because of my lack of bracing. I'll figure it out I'm sure, it's just not going to be a quick deal. Right now, I've got to get things ready so that I can hang body panels to check my fit.

Bill

Back