• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Corvette totaled from one inch of damage

Don't I know it.
Im in the same boat, Terry. I work out-of-town during the week and get home in time to start on chores/projects that have more priority than my Colt. Ive had other car guys in my garage saying they could have my wiring done in a weekend and be driving it to work on Monday. When I offer to hire them they recant or change the subject.

I believe the frame is hydroformed aluminum....

This car is built by the same company that is constantly running ads bashing Ford for having aluminum body panels.

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-High-Strength-Steel-Ad-1024x544.jpg

Really? Do you think aluminum in the bed of a pickup is a good idea? I can see its use on America's sports car. Weight reduction is a big thing for a go fast car, not so much for something that is supposed to haul stuff. It should be rugged and Ford tough, not use pansy aluminum in the bed.
I listen to a local radio program called Sams Garage. There are two hosts, both named Sam. They agree that the Ford pickups are overly complicated and unreliable, recommending Chevys instead. Don't complain to me, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just passing on information.

If I were to buy a new Ford truck that has an aluminum bed, I'd do the same thing as I did to the steel bed I currently have. Some sort of bed liner. Who leaves a truck bed raw?

Really? Do you think aluminum in the bed of a pickup is a good idea? I can see its use on America's sports car. Weight reduction is a big thing for a go fast car, not so much for something that is supposed to haul stuff. It should be rugged and Ford tough, not use pansy aluminum in the bed.
I listen to a local radio program called Sams Garage. There are two hosts, both named Sam. They agree that the Ford pickups are overly complicated and unreliable, recommending Chevys instead. Don't complain to me, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just passing on information.
And that's why Chevy is going to aluminum in there trucks in 18 if I recall correctly. It's all about CAFE standards for gas milage. Besides everyone always drops a metal box from high up exactly on the corner into the bed of their trucks on a regular basis.

I read somewhere that they had to do several takes to get the desired results in bed comparison commercials. And yes, anybody that does not put a bedliner in a new truck is an idiot anyway.

And that's why Chevy is going to aluminum in there trucks in 18 if I recall correctly. It's all about CAFE standards for gas milage. Besides everyone always drops a metal box from high up exactly on the corner into the bed of their trucks on a regular basis.
More lunacy brought on by our well intentioned government. Oh I have no doubt they had to try it several times. I haven't seen the commercial with the toolbox- they dropped rocks in the commercial I saw. I guess that was just a tad out the norm, so they did another with a toolbox. So next year Ford will do a commercial destroying a Chevy aluminum bed, and boast how their aluminum is thicker and better or some such drivel. Its all silly to me. They should stick to good ol' steel and take the weight out elsewhere.
And yes I like toast too.:eek::rolleyes:

IIRC all commercial aircraft (i.e. 737, 757, 767, 777, A380 et al) are constructed almost entirely of aluminum alloy with the exception of the 787 Dreamliner which is constructed mostly carbon fiber.

If we didn't have this lunacy we wouldn't be having this renaissance of performance and power. We still would be back with the 1940s technology with chrome slapped on the cars. WAKE up and join the future...its coming. I have a 460hp car that gets 30mpg and is a lot safer than anything that we would have be stuck with IF we had stayed stagnant.
Next is the electric performance car...so get ready to bittch you old men. Or stick your heads back in the sand.

If we didn't have this lunacy we wouldn't be having this renaissance of performance and power. We still would be back with the 1940s technology with chrome slapped on the cars. WAKE up and join the future...its coming. I have a 460hp car that gets 30mpg and is a lot safer than anything that we would have be stuck with IF we had stayed stagnant.
Next is the electric performance car...so get ready to bittch you old men. Or stick your heads back in the sand.

460? Is that all??

460? Is that all??

460? Is that all??

I'm with Mike on this one. The performance and fuel economy coming out of some of the new cars is amazing.

Even the new electric cars are getting pretty viable. Tesla's are pretty darn fast. If they weren't so damn expensive I would buy one. But there's no cost saving in spending that much for me.

Is there some new battery technology that will finally make electrics viable? Or hydrogen fuel cells? So far the batteries are the achilles heel. Something will come along but its not here now, making them cost prohibitive. As much as I like Tesla, it wouldn't be around without government subsidies.
Of course the internal combustion engine has improved- good grief its been 50 years. Look at the innovations that were required to move it along: they are mostly related to electronics and software; electronic EFI, CAD, CNC controlled mills and other machines for faster and easier development, engine and transmission controls, ABS. We wouldn't be where we are without the transistor and everything spawned from it. Muscle cars were only 20 years after its invention, and were just starting to use them in the alternators and radios. Ignition systems still used points. It was a natural progression of development and technology.
Rant over.

Back