• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cool New Tool Thread

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
In an attempt to keep the crickets at bay around here and up the post activity how about this idea. A thread to post up any and all new tools you've added to your arsenal? Doesn't have to be fancy, high tech or expensive. Hell, it doesn't even have to be out of the ordinary if you have a story to go with it.

In my latest endeavor, I have found/will find myself needing to and doing all kinds of metal fabrication in areas sometimes completely new to me. That always leads to new tools, in my case anyway. I'm a strong believer in using the right tool makes the job not only easier but often times simply feasible. Plus I tend to aim for perfection so tools designed for a purpose can usually make up for at least some of my lack of skill!

So let me kick this thread off with something I picked up to cut sheet metal down to size. Death wheels and and hand snips aren't always ideal. After considering the different options I elected to give this tool a shot. I went cheap figuring if I found it a good choice I could always upgrade the quality down the road. So off the the Chinese tool store I went!

Got my first electric shear. shear.jpgCost me under $60 out the door. I elected to go with the Bauer brand over the Chicago Electric which was less expensive. I noticed a few design differences which looked to me to be better with the Bauer. First use was cutting a 16 ga steel panel out of a larger sheet. It sliced through like butter. Could not believe how well it worked. Now being a HF tool it make self-destruct at some point but until it does it will be my tool of choice for slicing up sheet.

I need to get one of those. I don't do a lot of metal work, but I still have rear quarters to do on the Jeep.

I use this to cut sheet metal. It attaches to any drill and works very well. I liked it because I can take to the junk yard with my drill and cut out pieces.

bb256b150a927bfb154102662361f073.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

My latest"tools" I bought a few weeks ago.

I needed a new code scanner that can do abs and srs codes. So I got this.

Also picked up this obd usb cable to hook up a laptop . I need it to program my mom's car radio for the back up camera I added for her.

And a battery cable crimp set for the mustang.
8497df893bd96fae95a6f12a4a8ec712.jpg
c9fe28f8530001bad21a80aadc5fd9bd.jpg
b6c136bf781256ebb996a37c48cc0698.jpg

I need to get one of those. I don't do a lot of metal work, but I still have rear quarters to do on the Jeep.

I use this to cut sheet metal. It attaches to any drill and works very well. I liked it because I can take to the junk yard with my drill and cut out pieces.

bb256b150a927bfb154102662361f073.jpg

That's a " nibbler" kinda thing, right? Takes little bites as it goes? The shear I got tore through that 16 ga at about a foot in 5 seconds. FAST and clean. You end up with big long curly fry metal spirals about 1/4" wide. Best part to me aside from the speed was the cleanliness. So used to sweeping up piles of metal dust everywhere from using the death wheels.

No modern computer car stuff for me. I use a hydraulic crimper for larger wire stuff. Have a cutter like that though.

No modern computer car stuff for me. I use a hydraulic crimper for larger wire stuff. Have a cutter like that though.
I work on all my cars, not just the older ones. so scanners and diagnostic computers are a necessary evil. I have several.

I even have a special scanner just for my volvos. It's saved me hundreds on service fees not having to rely on dealer for programming and such.

I figure I can pay a dealer $200 every time I need something or buy the scanner for the same price and only have to pay out once.

And yes that's just a basic nibbler. I bought it for portability to use at the junkyard and it works great in tight spaces.

Got one of these.
images

Not impressed. It's weak. I bought it specifically to use in a junkyard to cut out a donor piece of sheetmetal. Late model thin steel. It kinda sorta cuts OK for a couple of inches then it stalls, And stalls, and stalls. I swear I can get more use out of those tiny cutting blades on a Dremel tool. I understand that with smallish tool you can't push it hard (I've worn out two Dremels over the years) but Jeez.

I have other Milwaukee battery tools that I like and even love. This ain't one of them. Not getting rid of it as I really don't like using the air powered version and dealing with the air hose sometimes so it can fill a niche a little. It ought to do a lot better for the money though. It came with a tile blade and another. Neither I've tried yet so it may be better at other things. Still kind of cool in way, just not very good.

They have a 1/4" grinder that you can fit a cut off wheel mandrel on that might be a lot better. I know a guy with one and am itching to test it before I pop for one myself. They cost rather more than this little cutoff tool.

I picked this up yesterday. I’ve been running a search on Craig’s List for about a year and a half, and I didn’t really expect any results. So two days ago I got six emails from all the regions I picked near home. It’s an unused Auto Twirler brand rotisserie. This is the type I intended to pay full-boat for and have it shipped to the house, but I figured why not try CL until I really need it. It was a two hour drive, and a puzzle getting it to fit in the back of my short bed pickup, but we managed.

You can buy them unpainted and that’s what he did, then he painted one of the towers rattle can orange. From disassembly I can tell that it hasn’t been used. The Summit Racing warehouse was on my path home, so I picked up a set of Mustang lift arms, and now I’m all set.
1634819827122.png
1634819907126.png

Nice! I really wanted to get one back when but could never got lucky finding a used one. Great find. Those are the kinds of buys you can resell when you're done with it and come out even if you're lucky,

Here's another new acquisition. Bet many of you had never heard of or knew existed. It's called a coining tool. Without cheating (Ken), anyone know its purpose?

coiningtool.jpg

Is it the thing that gives you a finished end on a bead?
Yep. Use it against a dolly or other hard flat surface to pound in a "dome" like finished feature to a straight bead. I bought a complete set of various size tooling along with a hefty cool aluminum fixture tool to hold them while hammering.

Yep. Use it against a dolly or other hard flat surface to pound in a "dome" like finished feature to a straight bead. I bought a complete set of various size tooling along with a hefty cool aluminum fixture tool to hold them while hammering.
even with your description I had to cheat and look it up....still not sure how it works. I couldn't find any videos of it in action so I guess you need to step up to the plate and give us some action shots!

Nice! I really wanted to get one back when but could never got lucky finding a used one. Great find. Those are the kinds of buys you can resell when you're done with it and come out even if you're lucky,
Are you ever really done with a tool like that? Mine has been sitting in the shop for the last 8 years, unused. But now I am prepping it to put the Bronco body on. Sure it is a big thing to store, but I would hate having to go look for one every so many years. Paid for and stored is how I deal with tools.

Are you ever really done with a tool like that? Mine has been sitting in the shop for the last 8 years, unused. But now I am prepping it to put the Bronco body on. Sure it is a big thing to store, but I would hate having to go look for one every so many years. Paid for and stored is how I deal with tools.
There are some tools I have parted with over the years. Usually they start as a Craigslist find and leave the same way. Bought a drywall lift a long time ago when I finished my basement. After trying to do the job with muscle and 2x4 jack posts I quickly realized the right tool was needed. Bought one used, did the job and sold it off for more than I paid for it. Couldn't see me needing one anytime soon and why clutter up the space. I will admit, a rotisserie is not easy to come by but then again not too many folks ever need onw twice. Something like 97% of home amateur car restoration projects never get completed, let alone two. But hey, if ya got the space.

There are some tools I have parted with over the years. Usually they start as a Craigslist find and leave the same way. Bought a drywall lift a long time ago when I finished my basement. After trying to do the job with muscle and 2x4 jack posts I quickly realized the right tool was needed. Bought one used, did the job and sold it off for more than I paid for it. Couldn't see me needing one anytime soon and why clutter up the space. I will admit, a rotisserie is not easy to come by but then again not too many folks ever need onw twice. Something like 97% of home amateur car restoration projects never get completed, let alone two. But hey, if ya got the space.
I guess I am part of the 3%. Beginning #2 and #3 simultaneously....with 4, 5, and 6 still in the wings.

I guess I am part of the 3%. Beginning #2 and #3 simultaneously....with 4, 5, and 6 still in the wings.
Most guys who stay the course for one can do more for sure. To that type of person the journey is part of the experience/fun. The challenges, etc. That other 97% find they lack the skills, the budget, the drive...whatever and give up. I suppose a few of them (if budget isn't the issue) end up paying others to do the work for them maybe and the cars get done at least. I never want to be that way though. The build is the fun and the finished car the trophy. I don't think I could be or would be as proud of it if I didn't do it all myself. So I buy/make tools and learn to do what I need to to make sure that doesn't happen! I'm sure you get it

Back