• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

C6 Transmission woes... **(update, I think I know why!)**

tarafied1

Well, some of you may know the trans didn't want to go on the power tour. We were going about 70 mph on I-40 heading to Concord NC when it started making a horrible noise, shuddering, etc. then locked up and killed the engine. So the car was loaded on a flat bed and sent home with no supper.
So I got home from the Power Tour last night, started checking things out today. I jacked it up again to spend a little more time diagnosing the symptoms. In low (manually) and reverse the car behaves normally. In drive the car revs until the converter locks up then the cars starts to jerk violently and bogs the engine until the converter slips then unloads and repeats. Not a pleasant feeling. In 2nd (manually) it is like putting on the brakes. If I start in 1st and run it up to 20 or 30 mph (on jack stands) then shift into second it stops like putting on the brakes. On the ground, I could get it to move in 2nd but not easily.
So my thought was it tried to shift into reverse at 70 mph. There is a low/reverse clutch that is engaged only in low or reverse. So I was hoping there was a problem with the valvebody (which might still be). I dropped the pan, pulled the valve body. Nothing visual was broken or loose. The fluid was clean and so was the trans. I went to the Pick-A-Part and found a mid to late 70's Mercury with no engine but had a C6. So I pulled the valve body. Came home cleaned it up and put it in. Put in about 8 quarts of fluid and and still does the same things. SO I am thinking it still tried to engage that low/reverse clutch but the horrible squealing, shuddering and so on was the clutch pack inertia welding itself together. So now the clutches are locked together (I suspect) which is why it does not work properly in 2nd or drive. I was a bit dejected after all that so it's sitting on jack stands for now. If I find a cheap C6, I will swap it out. Otherwise it sits until I can afford a TKO!
asehuse4.jpg

suge4evy.jpg

mesa2etu.jpg

Re: C6 Transmission woes...

Meanwhile you can pull out the trans and dissassembling it ?
Who knows what comes out of it ?
Whats to loose ? :hmm

"B67FSTB" said:
Meanwhile you can pull out the trans and dissassembling it ?
Who knows what comes out of it ?
Whats to loose ? :hmm
Exactly. You might get lucky and find less of a fix is needed. Worse case you discover its not worth fixing but you'll at least know what happened.

Besides, any time working on the car is a good time.

It's been awhile since I've messed with a c6 behind my 460, so what c6's will work for your application. I'll keep an eye out.

Bill

"dodgestang" said:
I have a small c6 sitting in the corner of my garage....come and get it ;) Won't ship
no such thing as a "small" C6, lol. I assume you mean for a smallblock?
I need one for a 400M 429/460

found one, Craigslist $150 and couple cans of degreaser, a few quarters at the car wash...
10363323_10202383252168232_4006184874581613095_n.jpg

now I got to swap them... :bomb

yeah, I was moping around like a spoiled kid who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas, so the wife said "just get another trans". So I looked on Craigslist and there was a couple local. Called the guy that had this one said he drove the car (T-Bird with a 460) and it worked fine. He was trying to sell the engine and trans but a guy only wanted the engine. So he had this trans. I figured $150 wasn't bad so I asked when I could get it. He said come on over, so I did!

"tarafied1" said:
yeah, I was moping around like a spoiled kid who didn't get what he wanted for Christmas, so the wife said "just get another trans". So I looked on Craigslist and there was a couple local. Called the guy that had this one said he drove the car (T-Bird with a 460) and it worked fine. He was trying to sell the engine and trans but a guy only wanted the engine. So he had this trans. I figured $150 wasn't bad so I asked when I could get it. He said come on over, so I did!

That's not a bad buy. I sold the one that was behind the 460 for $350. A c6 in that application is a pretty hard find.

Bill

"dodgestang" said:
I need one for a 400M 429/460

Oh
thanks anyway!

"Fst Blk" said:
That's not a bad buy. I sold the one that was behind the 460 for $350. A c6 in that application is a pretty hard find.

Bill

yeah he said the guy that bought the 460 paid his asking price for the engine and trans but didn't want the trans so he was just looking to get rid of it! It was in his basement. He had other Ford/Mustang parts but had sold his "project' and was cleaning up.

Well, its out. And apart. Thats the low/reverse clutch hub that is still in there. It locked up solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403483276.354728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403483276.354728.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 114
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403483295.972604.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403483295.972604.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 35

Well, yes. I thought it was the low/reverse clutches that fused together but i kinda dropped the trans repeatedly on the floor. Bellhousing face down. The clutches and steels came out. So now it would appear that the one-way clutch is what failed. Seized up and locked the hub to the case. If you look thru the one-wY clutch you can tell some of the rollers are missing

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403491752.992280.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403491752.992280.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 30

Confirmed. I pulled the tailshaft, governor and then unbolted the one-way clutch inner race from the case and the low/reverse clutch hub was able to be removed. The race and hub are now one piece!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403494363.640840.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403494363.640840.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 29

Got home from Seattle and tinkered with the trans some more. Was able to get a better look then hammer out the jammed up rollers. Inner race trashed, rollers trashed and springs.... shrapnel

in this pic you can see some rollers wedged in the tighter gap area, not supposed to be there
10338245_10202420189051631_546410715084956841_n.jpg

Inner race galled up and roller flat spotted, springs just destroyed.
10308567_10202420192371714_6647470468810747753_n.jpg

Back