• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Boom's 82 Fox

Boom

Donator
Howdy everyone!

Just got back in the states and got a look at the fox body I picked up while gone. Didn't have alot of info on it, saw what I felt was too good a deal to pass on so I had it towed and dropped off in my garage til I got back.

It's an 82 Fox. It has GT markings and the hood scoop. All appears original or was properly done awhile back (proper badges and all painted to match)

Needs some tlc and a quarter repair that I've seen so far.

My goals if i decide to keep it right now are efi install (most likely Holley Sniper), probably new wheels and tires if I can get it running well. I just want a nice weather cruiser until my 68 is done.

Here's the important part: pics!

Attachments

• IMG-20220916-WA0034.jpg
    IMG-20220916-WA0034.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20220916-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20220916-WA0024.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 10
Looks like it might clean up to be a nice cruiser. I am a fan of the later fox bodies, but the four-eyes certainly have a following.

I am gonna give it a good lookover to see it if in decent enough condition to use as is without a full resto. I have sone concerns but I'm not super familiar with the foxes yet.

I did get a new hatch for the car. The entire thing will need new weatherstripping and the other usual items a 40 year old car needs.

Windshield shows 97 is the last registration sticker. Has a handful of raceway park eliminator series sticker on drivers side window.

Just cleaning it up and taking notes of items that'll need some attention. Unfortunately it's a bit cramped in the garage currently.

Looks like it might clean up to be a nice cruiser. I am a fan of the later fox bodies, but the four-eyes certainly have a following.
I see everyone convererting to the late "aero" nose. I really like that style too, but I also have lately kind of started liking the 4 eye look. You never really see them anymore. It'll be more challenging since a quick search shows they don't have as many parts reproduced for the early nose.

Four eyes are the best. Nice pick up. My unicorn is a 83 GT, black on black like I had way back in the day. Those things are ALL torn up and been through the hands of multiple wannabe racer hacks unfortunately it seems. Got close on one a while back that was all original but a day late. Maybe one day.

So found out I have the super performance option trx wheels. :rolleyes: which nobody makes a tire for anymore

I had been pondering a 5 lug swap. Seems like the front is a bit harder to swap on the early cars. Might just search for some new 4 lug wheels

Cool score! I had an 84 GT new. Kept it until 94. It started out silver and I repainted it black after the Florida rust kicked its ass. I’m having a blast driving the SVO almost daily.

IMG_1627.jpeg1984 Mustang GT.jpeg

Cleanups been going smoothly. Interior isn't in too rough of shape. Everything seems to be present except for the radio. Got the t-tops off, one of them didn't want to release but finally did. Door panels are warped and will need replaced, as well as the dash pad. Glovebox hinge is siezed.

Under the hood is crusty. Pulled the plug wires off, the distributor cap hold downs (on the base, not the adapter) are busted so I'll probably need a new distributor.

Nothing on the carb wants to move. Still haven't found any wd40 to spray on it for now. This thing seems to have a ton of vacuum or coolant lines on top of the engine. Wonder if some can be deleted.

Main harness looks ok ish, few wires chopped or need some tape to cover.

Here's some interior and engine shots

Attachments

• 20230503_132447.jpg
    20230503_132447.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 7
Need to figure out how to downsize my pics or host them. Keep getting a size error when wanting to upload them

Wow, that poor engine! If you don't need to meet any smog requirements, nearly all of those vacuum hoses and associated crap can go away.

Need to figure out how to downsize my pics or host them. Keep getting a size error when wanting to upload them
Rescale their size using Paint or something similar. I typically email them from my iphone into my laptop selecting to send them as "large" when prompted by the phone. Then I open the pic in Paint and down size it by scale it at about 60% and save the smaller pic file to use when I post any pics. You end up with a pic that is a good size to show detail but fits well in the screen size when viewed on this site (at least on my laptop).

Hmm, I don’t ever need to resize when posting from my phone.
Do you use Tapatalk when on site? That might automatically scale stuff when you upload or such. I always edit on the computer to post. Size stuff. Crop. I could even rotate them if needed :rolleyes:

Got a photoshop app for the phone that let's me resize them.

Another app :rolleyes:

Attachments

• PSX_20230503_185147.jpg
    PSX_20230503_185147.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PSX_20230503_185257.jpg
    PSX_20230503_185257.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 9
Do you use Tapatalk when on site? That might automatically scale stuff when you upload or such. I always edit on the computer to post. Size stuff. Crop. I could even rotate them if needed :rolleyes:
Nope, dumped tapatalk. Use the website on the phone.

Worked on cleaning up the engine a bit.

Pulled the fan and shroud and cut the belt off. It was super crusty. The engine turns! The distributor top is siezed but I can see part of it under the tap spinning when I crank the engine.

Going to need to repair or modify the lower radiator support, it's rusted. Of course the only seem to reproduce the 83+ ones. Team Z makes a tube bracket that welds in place. Might try that.

Also have some rot under the battery tray. Turned into a much bigger issue.

Attachments

• PSX_20230504_180105.jpg
    PSX_20230504_180105.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Dang, finally hit a bad area. The passenger front frame rail is pretty much gone. Anyone replaced one of these? Seems like it's like ten pieces thst are strategically welded together and onto the car.

Was hoping to just freshen up the drivetrain and a bit to drive. Not sure i want to get this deep in this right now.

Attachments

• PSX_20230504_183333.jpg
    PSX_20230504_183333.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 11
It's always worse than it looks too. But...it's only metal. It can be fixed easy enough.

Back