• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another strange request: clear finish on aluminum

A

Anonymous

I'm working on a project at a rental store down in Texas. We're supplying stained birch cabinets with aluminum diamond plate countertops. The architect specified (and has used previously) that the diamond plate have a clear, catalyzed lacquer finish applied. Disregarding all the nonsensical reasons NOT to apply a finish, has anyone every had an experience with applying a clear finish to this?
Our shop can apply just about anything, but no one in the paint business, either wood or automotive can give me an answer on what to use. Their responses are all just laughing, commenting on how ridiculous it is and that they have nothing, nor heard of ever applying a clear finish to aluminum diamond plate.
Even the guy making the tops (he does all kind of D-P and Stainless Steel c-tops) has never heard of this request and thinks I'm joking.
I have a request in to the architect for my info and specific brands, but they take forever to reply.

Any legitimate ideas?

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
Does the architect what the finish to protect the diamond plate? Why not just cover it with plexiglass? To me diamond plate is more of a non-skid walking surface, not something that you would want to work off of.

fd

A

Anonymous

"FordDude" said:
Does the architect what the finish to protect the diamond plate? Why not just cover it with plexiglass? To me diamond plate is more of a non-skid walking surface, not something that you would want to work off of.

fd

Who knows what's in the mind of architects? Not me, that's fo sho. They want what they want and it's our job to make it happen. Reason and common sense are not involved in these instances. They've used it previously, so SOMEONE came up with the finish.

A

Anonymous

"70 StangMan" said:
Ain't that YOUR job ??

:stfu jackwagon. I've already wasted 3 days trying to get answers. Dang rednecks :nut

70 StangMan

Donator
What I would do is tell them it was coated with a super secret formula that was recently used on the now defunct space shuttle program and is not yet unclassified and it is so advanced that you can not see or feel it. But it is there and virtually invisible. I mean sh*t, the only wear will be on the tips of the diamond plate...who the hell could tell if it wasn't coated....your welcome jackwagon.

70 StangMan

Donator
"silverblueBP" said:
It's not like I expected any "real" ideas from anyone here. I thought maybe a traveling paint salesman might wander by this looney bin.
Sounds like you need to get out of that Kansas farm house and out into the 21st century ( and that don't mean just tapping on the keyboard) and see what is happening in the new world. Either that or get you a straw hat and a mule and get back to tilling the land...farmer brown.

Sluggo

I can't figure out why you would anyone would want diamond plate counter tops. they would suck to clean and the clearcoat would get beat to hell the first time you drug something across it.

No idea what would work.

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I wonder whether they want the deep lacquer finish where the material is buried under the finish. I've seen this in various restaurants where old newspapers are laid on wood, then covered with a 1/4-1/2" thick varnish/lacquer.

70 StangMan

Donator
"Midlife" said:
I wonder whether they want the deep lacquer finish where the material is buried under the finish. I've seen this in various restaurants where old newspapers are laid on wood, then covered with a 1/4-1/2" thick varnish/lacquer.
If that's the case why not put a print of diamond plate and then cover...what's the diff. ??

apollard

"70 StangMan" said:
If that's the case why not put a print of diamond plate and then cover...what's the diff. ??

The architect can charge more for 'designing' the innovative, transgressive use of a walking surface for a counter.

Post-modern architects call this "brickologue". Basically, a french word that means throwing unrelated stuff together.

I chit you not.

And people pay them for this chit.

70 StangMan

Donator
"apollard" said:
Post-modern architects call this "brickologue". Basically, a french word that means throwing unrelated stuff together.
I've got a 'nother word for it.

classicdoug

Yes, Glisten will work.

Or, PPG has a procedure for this. We use it on polished aluminum parts and wheels sometimes. Use DX 533 first to clean the aluminum, then DX 501 to condition it. Then clearcoat it with DAU75 clear. I think the first time I did this was about 7 years ago. We clearcoated some polished aluminum wheels because the customer didn't want to have to polish the wheels. They still look great today and he drives the car pretty regularly.

Doug

A

Anonymous

Thanks Steve and Doug!!!!!!!

Doug,

Will the PPG harden fairly fast? The P sheet says 16 hrs to air dry.

I read where the POR-15 stays soft for a few days.

A

Anonymous

Here's one but I'm not sure it will bond to aluminum. I have seen others on the market that are recommended for aluminum and I would guess they are the same as used by the auto manufactures. If you strike out, give me a shout back and I will see if I can find someone that worked at the local Alcoa plant. The plant manager actually was a neighbour but left out a couple or three months ago. "If" he pops back in here in the next few days I'll ask him (his house is still on the market.)

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF ... dno=T77F32

SELLERSRODSHOP

"silverblueBP" said:
Thanks Steve and Doug!!!!!!!

Doug,

Will the PPG harden fairly fast? The P sheet says 16 hrs to air dry.

I read where the POR-15 stays soft for a few days.

you should be able to use one of the accelerators to speed up the dry time. i haven't ever used the DAU acrylic clear, so can't say for sure what to use with it.

A

Anonymous

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Here's one but I'm not sure it will bond to aluminum. I have seen others on the market that are recommended for aluminum and I would guess they are the same as used by the auto manufactures. If you strike out, give me a shout back and I will see if I can find someone that worked at the local Alcoa plant. The plant manager actually was a neighbour but left out a couple or three months ago. "If" he pops back in here in the next few days I'll ask him (his house is still on the market.)

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=STORECAT&lang=E&doctype=PDS&prodno=T77F32

I talked extensively yesterday with our Gemini Coatings rep about applying cat lacquer on aluminum. He checked with "his" people and said not to use it since it's formulated for wood applications. I would assume that SW would be the same.

We normally use conversion varnish on anything that needs a finish since it's super durable and impervious to just about anything short of acid. The problem is that the catalyzing agent is very caustic and will eat aluminum...so they say.