• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 Cougar dash to 67 Mustang dash

blu67

Just curious how much work is involved in changing from a 67 Mustang Dash to a 67 Cougar dash...just to be different.
I saw a 67 Cougar today and for the most part the dashes seem to be extremely similar but the dash pad it straight across rather than the "eyebrows" of the Mustang. Anyone ever thought about it? The lower halves seem to look the same.....

Just curious...

I've seen a mustang with a cougar dash in it yrs ago. cant recall if it looked like it was a major job to do or not...

Wiring is different, as Cougars have a lot more do-dads, including low fuel sensors.

Since I haven't seen it done I imagined there was a reason. Either too much work, aesthetics or something else. I was just curious as people are always looking to be different and I thought...."why hasn't this been done?".....

I don't know if this helps, but my instrument cluster was a standard 67 cluster with no tach. I too looked at the Cougar dash and thought maybe they were a lot alike. I was hoping I could just bolt it in or straight up swap it. I bought a 67 Cougar tach cluster on ebay for $45. Much cheaper than I could buy a Mustang tach. It wasn't a straight up swap, it took a little fabricating. The Cougar cluster depth was different than the Stang. I had to make the "cup" deeper. You can see the cluster panel is different in the pics. The dash would probably fit but I don't think it is as easy as just a quick swap. Like Mid said there would be some wiring issues as well.
mvc045szt8.jpg

instrumentcloseuptr6.jpg

2842869_68.jpg

2842869_69.jpg

mvc043sbh1.jpg

mvc046sga3.jpg

mvc002sox2.jpg

I also changed the bulb covers from blue/green to red/orange and to make the faces all match I bought a white face kit.
mvc069stj7.jpg

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

smalldashwithredlightscw9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the metal dash support is different (the Cougar variant lacking the eyebrows of the Mustang version). Thus it would be necessary to swap the Mustang metal dash support for a Cougar one.

What's the availability of Cougar dash pads and other trim? I remember that stuff wasn't easy to come by when I had my 67 Cougar, back in the early 90s.

Robert

Do a interweb search on quarter horse mustang. It's a 69 and the swap looks pretty easy. On a 69 at least. I think the lower dash is the same.

Someone recently cloned a quarter horse. you might be able to pry some info out of them.

anHernandezQuarterHorse_04_700-vi.jpg

"Sluggo" said:
It's a 69 and the swap looks pretty easy. On a 69 at least. I think the lower dash is the same.

Yes a 1969/1970 Cougar dash into a 1969/1970 Mustang would be much easier because of the absence of a metal dash frame forming part of the unibody.

The 67-68 Mustang lower dash is the same as the 67-68 Cougar, and the 69-70 Mustang is the same as the 69-70 Cougar. We just started making our consoles for the cougars.

Back