• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67, 68, or 70 wire diagrams WITH alternator warning light

Mach1 Driver

Does anyone have a wire diagram for a 67, 68, or 70 with the alternator warning light? They are used on cars with OEM tachometers.

I’m researching to write a comprehensive post to add a 3G alternator to 65-70 cars. Twelve versions of diagrams are needed, and I’ve found nine of the twelve, but not those mentioned. There are cars with ammeters, or charging lights for 6 model years, which equals 12. They don’t change much schematically, but colors, plugs, wire numbers, and splices etc. do change from year to year. I want to make the post accurate so people can more easily identify the correct wires.

All the Ford Shop Manuals have the same schematic for the charging systems, but it is not a wire diagram, and often the wire colors do not agree with the wire diagram of the same year. They just forgot to change the manual when they updated the diagram.

Note that below is a schematic, NOT wire diagram, and NOT what I’m looking for. This is from the Charging section of the 69 manual and the color of the wire on F is orange on the actual wire diagram. Here it says it’s white. This appears to be the same schematic shown in 66, and not updated to 69 colors:
1713135996401.png
Thanks for any help

The wire and vacuum guides for each year have the correct colored wires.

I have these for each year. While not a schematic, they follow the same circuitry and denote the proper wire colors for that year. The change-over from white to orange happened circa 1968/1969 or so.

The wire and vacuum guides for each year have the correct colored wires.

I have these for each year. While not a schematic, they follow the same circuitry and denote the proper wire colors for that year. The change-over from white to orange happened circa 1968/1969 or so.
Randy, I already have the complete Helm manual and wire diagram for the 69, which has the "alternator warning light" wire diagram. These are no longer available by the way.
Since you say you have the "Jim Osborn Wiring Diagram Manual" from NPD, could you please look and see if it includes the "alternator warning light" wire diagram in it? I can't tell if it does from the description, which is following. This particular one is for the 67. I need the 67, 68 and 70:
WIRING MANUAL, 1967 Mustang, reprint of original, Detailed drawings of wire harness locations and wire schematics make this a valuable resource
NPD Part Number : L-29A
Manufacturer Reference #'s: MP0003,

Ahhh...I forgot that there is no published wire diagrams for 67/68 Mustangs with tach/alternator light configurations; I had to reverse engineer the wiring. Cougars are no help, as the XR7 has both ammeters and tachometers. The Shop Manual for 67 has White for the Field wire.

That's all I got!

70 has 35 orange
4 white/black
152 yellow
904 green/red (wiring diagram has it wrong as violet resistor wire)
These are the lines going to the voltage regulator.

Randy, is there a complete WIRE DIAGRAM for the 70 that shows the car with an alternator warning light? If I buy the Osborne version of the 70 Wiring Manual, will it show that? You've already said that the 67 and 68 do not have a wire diagram that shows the warning light.

Can you please look at the Osborne 70 Wiring Manual and tell me if it has a wiring diagram showing the warning light?

I would like to see the entire wire diagram for a 70 with alternator warning light, because the ammeter version of the 70 has some subtle changes- things that are different than all the other years, and I would like to see what they did to the warning light charging system, if anything.

Back