• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Fastback project? Am I crazy?

Great Craig, Wish I had the Falcon but then again, I need to put in about 2 miles of fences at the farm so funds are tight.

SOOOO.... a gasser/altered fastback drag car...? :shrug

26-061211115405.jpeg

You WILL NOT ruin that car by taking J's direction. If you want to build a hot wheels car you have the coupe or Falcon to play with...but I wouldn't screw either of those up either.

"Horseplay" said:
You WILL NOT ruin that car by taking J's direction. If you want to build a hot wheels car you have the coupe or Falcon to play with...but I wouldn't screw either of those up either.
awe, but dad....

"tarafied1" said:
okay, how about a 65 Shelby R clone?
Better but not very unique. Save your pennies and put Shawn's new underpinnings on that bad boy. Make it a real driver for all those long hauls in your future. It's screaming for a mod motor installation. Imagine 20+ MPG and air on the next Power Tour! Just keep the external classic looks and you can't go wrong.

Seriously, you can pick up a 4.6/trans combo cheap.

"Horseplay" said:
Better but not very unique. It's screaming for a mod motor installation. Imagine 20+ MPG and air on the next Power Tour! Just keep the externally classic looks and you can't go wrong.

Seriously, you can pick up a 4.6/trans combo cheap.
I think having an old 289 with a carb these days is pretty unique. my opinion is if you want what you mentioned just buy a 96-04 GT mustang with newer technology, i love the brute force sound/feel of a mild-hot 289. plus he already has one ready to go in,

He already has a bad ass muscle mustang in the form of his current 67 coupe. This 65 already has the towers removed and a MII style suspension installed. He can drop in just about anything he would like and a mod motor would be a logical choice is all. He could double the HP compared to a 289/302 if he wanted and drive it to the corner to pick up milk everyday.

Craig likes to drive his car. I just thought it a natural path to consider.

FYI, I totally get your point on the SBF. I have a 65 fastback that will one day be sporting a very radical stroked 351w for the very reasons you mention.

I'm honestly not that impressed with the 4.6. I have had that and a 5.4 in trucks (I know they are heavy). I had bigger exhaust and Superchip and K&N filter, stuff like that on my F150 with 4.6 and it just didn't have any torque. I have a 5.4 in my Expedition and it's better but still not as good as a stock 5.0 HO. As mentioned I already have a 94 HO 5.0 and a T5. I think for the money the 5.0 will be plenty strong. It will have PS and AC! I would like to do Shawn's suspension but I also have a Rod & Custom MII front suspension for that car. Maybe rear stuff?
This car will become the "Pro-Touring" Power Tour car to replace my 67. (I'm not getting rid of the 67).
Black and Gold might be pretty cool, hadn't thought of that. I just like the look of the white with blue stripes. I know it's not original but it's classic. Plenty of time to change my mind on that however.

If I don't sell the Falcon, it will become a Gasser and maybe an Altered wheelbase AFX drag car. I don't have a lot in it and it is hidden under my deck in the back of the house for now. I have thought about the DOHC 4.6 for it to have the "Cammer" look but a 460 would be cool with some Kaase Boss9 Heads!

Back