• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 is coming out.

Re: 302 is combing out.

"tarafied1" said:
I broke a pump that way but for a different reason. 460's and older 429's have a different size pilot. But I broke the pump trying to "pull' the engine and trans together with the bolts.
I think Terry hit on the head, I hope there is no damage. You might be able to separate the engine and trans in the car without pulling either. Just keep the trans on a jack and pull it back enough to get at the converter.

I pulled the engine this AM and checked the pump for cracks etc., it looks good, I also got the Torque Converter to seat. Now I'm wondering about bringing this all together.

Can I back the Transmission away from the engine, bolt the engine in place and bring the transmission to it?

If so, do I need to remove anything (drive shaft, bolts, etc.) to get enough play in the transmission?

As you all are figuring out, I know just enough to be dangerous!

You can back the transmission away but will have to basically let it set free. It can't be secured to the crossmember, driveshaft, etc. Typically I'll have the transmission sitting on the crossmember (unbolted) with a rope tied around the bellhousing and secured at the hood hinges. Drop the engine in place but don't tighten the mounting bolts. This will let you secure the engine to the transmission with a little play in both. Once you get the engine/transmission secured to each other go back and secure each to the car. Think along the lines of installing the engine/tranny as one unit except they are both sitting inside the vehicle. Hope that helps.

"jmbour66" said:
As you all are figuring out, I know just enough to be dangerous!

Very important fact for you to be aware of....I only think I know enough to be dangerous so take my suggestions with caution.

Also make sure that the converter drain plug lines up with the hole in the flex plate. When everything is aligned correctly the trans and engine should just slide together. You should never use the bolts to pull them together.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Also make sure that the converter drain plug lines up with the hole in the flex plate. When everything is aligned correctly the trans and engine should just slide together. You should never use the bolts to pull them together.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted!

:yah I took a long lunch and wrenched more on the vert. Thanks to all of the advice I received the engine and trans are back in the car and married up with little trouble. The engine can be cranked by hand, tomorrow I'll get the starter back on and try that as well.

Thanks again everybody, it's amazing how much easier it is with good advice!

I got the Headers reattached, the carb mounted and plugs installed. This new engine is an 88 5.0 (carburetor), will my 73 stock distributor and coil work on this new engine?

Attached is a picture of my Timing Pointer, I'm not sure if I use the "Pointer" or the "hole".

Attachments

• Timing pointer.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 35

Got me, never have seen one like that.

Any thoughts on whether or not my 73 distributor will work on the 88 engine (no EFI or Computer)?

I would think it would work as long as the distributor gear works with the cam gear (correct metal), but I'm only used to working on mine and that may not translate to an newer block. Try sending a PM to Pete (AZPete), he may know.

It will fit, but you need a dist. with a steel gear. Your cast gear will not last long.

You can change the gear on yours, FRPP has one, as do others - check summit (like this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29418/) or jegs. I got a rebuilt duraspark distributor at the local parts store and used mine as the core - got the gear and the electronic dist at the same time.

Thanks for the info, I'll get a new gear ordered.

I got the engine started this AM and it had a loud tick that sounded like lifter trouble, I pulled the valve cover and it turned out to be a loose rocker arm. After that the engine sounded and idled great :thu.

I noticed that after running the engine for a bit, if I go to immediately restart it, it turns over slowly. I assume this is being caused by the starter getting to warm from the headers; if this is the case does anyone have an easy fix like header wrap, etc.?

Hi torq mini-starter and never look back. It could also be the timing is too far advanced or you need a spacer between the carb and intake.

Back