1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Convertible, original owner

Discussion in 'NewB Introductions' started by 120mm, Feb 12, 2019.

1. 120mm

120mm New Member

Greetings from snowy Iowa!

[​IMG]
    (obviously not a recent photo)

I'm the original owner of a 1967 convertible. It's a 6 to 8 conversion with Unisteer manual rack, '94 5.0 roller which I built myself, 1970 8 inch rear with 3.0 to 1, CSRP disc brakes and original everything else, including top. I most recently installed a "man pedal" and replaced the C4 with a Toploader. Picked it up new, in 1976 from a Ford dealer. It'd been wrecked on a test drive, repaired, and languished at the dealership for 9 years, to be used for parades and as showroom floor eye candy. Because of that, it has 38XXX actual miles on it.

[​IMG]

I've owned 6 mustangs, total, including a couple interesting ones; a '65 test rig that was never intended to be sold by the factory, and one of the earliest Hipo's manufactured, which went to a museum somewhere, despite being basically a VIN tag glued together with Bondo and rust by the time I got done with it.

I work overseas as an aviation maintenance contractor at the current time on a four month on/four month off basis, and I'm thinking I need a vintage race car, and am wondering if I should go '65-'66 Mustang Group 2 coupe resto-mod. I want something that will be fun to drive and just a little mad.

Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to learning a lot.

Mkflow likes this.
  2. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

Oh, boy do I know someone you need to talk to. Our resident house-husband, Mark ({.}). He's sure to show up here soon. He's also in Iowa and has a 66 fastback he races...not well...but he tries.

Welcome to the Fix!

6t6red and 120mm like this.
  3. blue65coupe

blue65coupe Well-Known Member

Is Mark done in the bathroom yet? Welcome aboard. Hope you ain't normal...or hope you're normal for around here.

120mm likes this.
  4. 120mm

120mm New Member

I'm Abby. Abby... Normal, that is.

Some people say to think "outside the box." Crap, I don't even know what box they are talking about.

RapidRabbit likes this.
  5. RapidRabbit

RapidRabbit Well-Known Member

Nice looking vert. Welcome to the fix.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

120mm likes this.
  6. KBMWRS

KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

Soooo.......Abby Normal wants our help in spending his money on a race car. We can do that.

Welcome. My son is working on his A&P now...hopefully there's some work out there.

120mm likes this.
  7. Horseplay

My boy is leaving the Corp in about a month. Taking 6 years or so experience wrenching on the F35's out into the real world. First stop his securing his A&P too.

120mm likes this.
  8. 120mm

120mm New Member

Most of the time military aircraft mechs are burned out with working on airplanes. I believe it's because the hassle of being in the military and the scarcity of actual A&P type work. At my new job, I pull a part, and replace a part. That isn't really mechanic work, imo.

I hope your young men keep up on their continuing education once they leave the military.

9. Horseplay

Most of the guys that exit the Marines at least seem to migrate to positions at Lockheed and such. They have the most experience on the new jets and have good luck finding work. My kid has already got something lining up for himself now he tells me. Getting the license just helps to progress the career and broaden the opportunity field, I guess.

120mm likes this.