• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vario-centric Camber Kit

hivewax

Just got the kit from OpenTracker and I heard installation should be done by someone who has done it before. I have the instructions from NPD and was wondering if any of you installed it and what issues were there...

It wasn't that hard at all. If you can weld and can take your time...knock it out.

Shag has one installed, but we're talking a 68 who's kit might be just a tad easier as compared to a 65/66. Pretty easy but time consuming. I will say that though I have installed it, Shag does not have an engine so odds are I will be adjusting it again after engine install. Yes you need a camber gauge or something that will work as one.

Mark, what does welding have to do with it? I had nothing to weld.

Elongating the 1/2" hole into a slot is the hardest part of this mod. Put the saddles in with the #1 plate and tack weld (That will give you equal adjustment on both sides), remove plates and weld. I use a 3/8" carbide burr on a hand drill to clean up the slot after using a drill to make some holes. It is a easier with the motor out but it can be done with it in. Take your time. You don't want to make the slot any wider/taller than 1/2".

ahhhhhh, so the 65/66 kit does require some welding. No wonder the 67/68 kit seemed so easy.

"Opentracker" said:
Elongating the 1/2" hole into a slot is the hardest part of this mod. Put the saddles in with the #1 plate and tack weld (That will give you equal adjustment on both sides), remove plates and weld. I use a 3/8" carbide burr on a hand drill to clean up the slot after using a drill to make some holes. It is a easier with the motor out but it can be done with it in. Take your time. You don't want to make the slot any wider/taller than 1/2".

What John said!

"silverblueBP" said:
What John said!

Well, making your slot longer is the drag here, you did it. I dislike it the most. If you want a bunch of neg. camber, put the saddles in with a plate that will give you more neg-camber.
That's the nice thing about this kit is that you can make your slot anywhere you want. I put mine as outward as possible. I like an outward slot, I massage the slot so the bolt will silde from side to side without interferance and I don't grind into the saddle, gotta keep that thing clean and burr free. A little lube at first is OK but after that you need to lock it down.

Depends on your use. A road-racy guy would put it more outward, while a more original style guy would not. I think the inward movement of the slot would help the drag guys more. They go through full articulation every time they leave the line for a full run. The better your alignment, the better off you are, less scrub.

well, friend welded saddle bracket to one side with wire feed yesterday... had to remove the wheels, strut rods, cross-member, sway bar, to drop the LCA pivot arm. the flange below had to trimmed/bent to get a weld on the saddle bracket. today, elongating the hole will be done and doing the other side.

got hit by a spatter, left a hole mark in the palm of my hand!

"AtlantaSteve" said:
OUCH!!!! :yikes

too bad they don't make special gloves just for welding. :doh

or for bystanders :yikes

"silverblueBP" said:
or for bystanders :yikes

I am not trying to bash Loren at all...I'm sure he feels the same way about this now...

but if you're close enough to a welding operation to get spattered, you should be wearing some protective equipment as well.

Weld + Fleshy bits is a horrible combination.

And a lesson I unfortunately learned the hard way too. And continue to learn...1 week ago I was welding and had my glove off during the setup, and without thinking flipped my helmet down, grabbed the feeder and started buzzing away. A few seconds into it I thought "Wow, this seems strangely easy...like I have a much firmer grasp and feel of the torch than I'm used to." Then remembered why that might be. Fortunately didn't get burned, but it has happened before, and I'm sure will happen again.

Steve
Steve

No, you'll never learn. If I'm lazy, I weld in a tshirt. And yes I pay dearly for it. Mrs Opentracker told me that her husband has been known to weld...all natural Ouch!! Them fireballs are nasty. :stfu :skull :crazy

I'm wrenching on this mod this coming weekend and will post some pictures fitting the mod up. I will be looking for more negative camber with the setup.

However, I also am removing the spacers in the upper control arm (except for caster needs - if at all - I am hoping to have caster adjusted via strut rods). This will allow me to keep the front tires low and inside the fender a little more.....

More to come....

I got my pro motorsports kit installed. Last Saturday, I got the car down to the alignment shop and they aligned it to:

camber: -2.7 deg on both sides
caster: +2.1 degrees on both sides
toe: 1/8 in

Here are a couple of pictures.

gronding down the edges was the hardest part. I used a 1/16" drill bit to perforate the edges of the oblong holes and then knocked it out with a punch.I then filed the openings with a rat tail and flat files....

Back