• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shock tower reinforcement - Day 2

Well, after two days of toil in hot weather, I finally got my shock towers stripped and my shock tower reinforcement plates installed... mostly.

I started with a Pro-motorsports reinforcement kit for the 65 Mustang and after A LOT of messaging, I finally got it looking half-way good. Each piece had to be heavily modified to even come close and even then, there are pretty large gaps at the bottom of the wrap-a-round pieces. In order to make the setup a little stronger and to ease installation, I drilled 1/2" holes in the 1/8" plates and spot welded each piece to the tower. Next step is to stitch weld the top and bottom joints. I would have completed the job today but I ran out of welding wire.

Lesson learned:
  • I should have sourced the metal myself and done this.. but cutting out the 1/8" steel would have been a pain in the ass.
  • I know it's hard to get a pre-fabbed kit like this to fit every car, but I had to do a lot of re-bending and forming to get these pieces to fit right
  • My welder, a Millermatic 211, kicks major ass. It did everything that I need it to and it makes spot welds like a champ
  • I don't think I'll ever willingly want to do this ever again.. :barf

Next steps are to finish the welding, grind the welds down, prep the engine bay and paint.

Here are pics of the progress so far:

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_001.jpg

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_002.jpg

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_003.jpg

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_004.jpg

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_005.jpg

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_006.jpg

normal_2010-08-15_-_Shock_Tower_Reinforcement_007.jpg

I'll post more when I finish up.

-Shannon

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good Shannon. You're right, those "one kit fit's all" kits usually do require a bit of tweaking to get all of the pieces to fit, but this modification is one of the best you can make to seriously strengthen your front suspension. Did you weld the piece onto the outside of the shock tower that connects the frame rail to the tower?

"daveSanborn" said:
Looks good Shannon. You're right, those "one kit fit's all" kits usually do require a bit of tweaking to get all of the pieces to fit, but this modification is one of the best you can make to seriously strengthen your front suspension. Did you weld the piece onto the outside of the shock tower that connects the frame rail to the tower?

Thanks Dave,

No I didn't get a chance to start on the outside plate before I ran out of welding wire, but it shouldn't be a be a big deal since it's just one piece of straight plate... no bending involved.

I agree this mod should make the front suspension significantly stronger than before since this tie's the shock tower and frame all together. That coupled with a good shock tower brace/monte carlo bar and it should be pretty solid.

-Shannon

I noticed you didn't stitch weld the motor mount bracket to the shock tower. I've been contemplating this. At the moment, I drilled holes and replicated the factory spot welds basically.

My shock towers are new Dynacorn pieces. I've been told they are a little beefier than factory shock towers. I really wasn't planning on reinforcing the shock towers additionally, but if I end up picking up a 460 that I have tempting me right now... I might want to consider doing what you have done. Is it really worth it? I'm starting to imagine the small block shock towers that I have seen that have been cracked... I might have to change my plan.

Manley,

I did mine for exactly the reason that you suggested.. peace of mind. My towers are original metal and will be running with a warmed up 331 stroker and a track suspension from Street or Track. With that being said, I'd just rather not have to worry about shock towers cracking. Is the Pro-Motorsports kit worth the price? Well no if you have the means to cut and bend 1/8" plate. Next time I'll do my own, but this first time I'd chalk up to experience. However I will say that those towers will never move with the extra bracing.

The pics that you see above are actually unfinished. I did actually finish welding the motor mount bracket to the shock tower. The top wrap-around piece is the only bracket that I stitched.

I'm in the middle of painting the engine bay now, I should have finished pics very soon.

-Shannon

"manley" said:
I noticed you didn't stitch weld the motor mount bracket to the shock tower. I've been contemplating this. At the moment, I drilled holes and replicated the factory spot welds basically.

My shock towers are new Dynacorn pieces. I've been told they are a little beefier than factory shock towers. I really wasn't planning on reinforcing the shock towers additionally, but if I end up picking up a 460 that I have tempting me right now... I might want to consider doing what you have done. Is it really worth it? I'm starting to imagine the small block shock towers that I have seen that have been cracked... I might have to change my plan.

Back