• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shakedown Cruise

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Julie and I took the 59 F100 to the Farm for a shakedown cruise last weekend. Went real well. Only need to check the AC. It did not keep up to the late afternoon heat.

We are going on a short road trip for out 40th anniversary next month.

truck1.jpgTruck2.jpg

It was fun traveling in the truck again. We had not been on a trip since the 2018 Power Tour. Got a lot of thumbs up.

Last edited:
Nice pond runner in the barn too. Kudos.
I've been following the various race/tour series the last year or two, like Power Tour/Drag Week and my hat's off to you folks who do that stuff. What an adventure.
One thing I noticed about rural Oregon since moving there is all the vintage Ford iron that lurks about, stuff like your truck. Fords evidently were real popular in that part of the state and people hung onto them. Heartening to see history preserved. Or I'm just getting old, heh.

Given where I live these days, I rarely see those in work mode, pretty cool. Usually I see them as dune queens. I also like that look of the galvanized corrugated for interior partitions. Very crisp. The hard part these days is finding materials both in stock and not priced in the stratosphere.

Back to the F100, is that a Vintage Air unit in it? Those usually are pretty solid units.

I noticed something with my '86 F250, the PO had converted it to R134 and I was never really satisfied with how it worked and, after it finally ate itself, I pulled the necessary parts off one of my parts trucks and converted it back to R12 and it works so much better now, smoother, cooler and, strangely, the truck is getting better fuel mileage with the R12 unit than it did with the R134 unit. I still have a 30lb R12 from Ford I got decades ago and all of my vintage is R12 so I figured get the truck back in line.

Still, if the unit is set up for R134 there shouldn't be cooling issues. Any ideas why it's lagging? I recall on the old R134 conversion I was getting slow leaks past a couple o-rings and the high pressure Schrader valve. Performance would slowly degrade over time.

It is a classic auto air. I have never been happy with this unit (I could go on a long rant but I will not).
Given where I live these days, I rarely see those in work mode, pretty cool. Usually I see them as dune queens. I also like that look of the galvanized corrugated for interior partitions. Very crisp.

Thanks

The hard part these days is finding materials both in stock and not priced in the stratosphere.
I have lots of old corrigated tin from the 2 barns I took down. It is about to go to the scrap yard. I have 2 more sheds to take down, wish I could find someone that wants it bad enough to do the demo work for me. Everyone wants if for free after you have done all the work.

If that corrugated is the old stuff with the heavy galvanizing and in decent shape, yeah barter or sell, it's hard to come by and a very robust product. I have some of the old stuff in only fair condition, some of it even has bullet holes, but it's heavy, 16 gauge, and the galvanizing is thick. Raw materials are life in this uncertain time. My neighbor is already interested in bartering for adding it as a roof to her new chicken coop. Chickens need cover, I need eggs. Heh.

Classic Air, haven't seen one of those in person. Sorry to read it isn't performing as expected. Do you have the equipment to diagnose and work on it? Figuring out performance problems can be fun. Ironically, where I bought to retire has no need for any air conditioning but I still keep the equipment up because it helps with dehumidifying/defrosting in the winter.

If that corrugated is the old stuff with the heavy galvanizing and in decent shape, yeah barter or sell, it's hard to come by and a very robust product. I have some of the old stuff in only fair condition, some of it even has bullet holes, but it's heavy, 16 gauge, and the galvanizing is thick. Raw materials are life in this uncertain time. My neighbor is already interested in bartering for adding it as a roof to her new chicken coop. Chickens need cover, I need eggs. Heh.

I kept a lot of it but in total, I have 5 old barn that need to go and so some needs to go. I also have an old grain silo that I want gone, tried offering it for free but people want to know if I can deliver. I will only deliver to the scrap yard.

Ironically, where I bought to retire has no need for any air conditioning but I still keep the equipment up because it helps with dehumidifying/defrosting in the winter.
When and where are you going to retire? Mine keeps getting pushed out due to family issues.

Covid forced it earlier than I wanted but I bought up in coastal Oregon after the last crash so have had a place near the beach for a number of years. Nothing fancy just a house in the forest near the dunes. I've kept the old cars in the dry as long as possible but they're going in the next month.

God be with us in what is to come. When I read 'silo' an old picture came to mind, the galvanized tin water tank in the tankhouse at my grandparents house where my mom and her sisters slept as kids. High and cool. For some reason old tin reminds me of that, the feel of the cool through the tin and the smell of the water, metal and wood.

Sometimes one has to weed through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat, so it is with humans and stuff. My bet is the right person will come along, or you'll change your mind. Hard to know!

Keep in touch! My goal is to drive my mustang in all 50 states, I have done 38. I see a west coast trip in my and Julie's future (if we keep here bone cancer at bay).

Went to Marshall, TX for our trip this weekend. Meet Miss Texas Teen Rodeo at out hotel. She wanted to do a photo op by the truck. We were give the VIP treatment at the rodeo and enjoyed our selfs.
We toured a bunch of Historic places. Who knew that Marshall, TX was the birth place of "Boogie Woogie"?

Did some antique shopping and the Saturday night went to a cruise in. A few pictures now, need to download more.
MissRodeoTexasTeen.jpgTruckBoogieWoogie.jpg20210814_174630.jpg

Cruise1.jpg

Last edited:
Back