• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power steering pump recommendations 1973 convertible

Joecam1967

Hi,
can anybody recommend a quality power steering pump for my ‘73? I’ve bought 2 Lares pumps from CJ PONY parts and neither has worked. Literally does not pump. I guess it could be an unfortunate coincidence but if there is a reliable replacement pump out there for the original, I‘d like to try it. The only difference I have from original set up is a Billet bracket.

How is that possible ??? Did you contact CJ's . Did they test the first one ?

I did. Sent them a video of the second one. My local mechanic says the remains are not good and to stay away but didn’t have a recommendation for a quality pump. I’ve been looking at a Saginaw pump but am unsure if it mounts because it’s a different shape.

Not sure why you would go to CJs in the first place but Rock Auto has multiple offerings from other suppliers for a third less than the crap you got from CJs. A pump like this is pretty basic. Hard to understand why you would get 2 "bad" ones but go elsewhere and with another remanufacturer. Rock Auto has Cardone which I have not heard anything bad about, for example.

I have a Saginaw style pump in my car from CVF and its been a good part. However, it is vastly different in design and mounting than what you already have. I wouldn't go that route unless you have no other option.

Its unbelieveble how much difference their is in prizes for the same part these days. It pays off to search half a day for the best prize.

Its unbelieveble how much difference their is in prizes for the same part these days. It pays off to search half a day for the best prize.
Here in the States if you need anything in the form of a stock part ALWAYS check with Rock Auto first. Not only do they have low costs, they stock a huge variety of manufacturer options on the same part for damn near everything. So much better than going to Autozone and getting some house brand crap.

Thanks. I did buy the third pump from Rock Auto and it works! Installed yesterday. As we were flushing the system, to expedite the process we startEd the engine to operate the pump at a higher rpm than by hand. That worked however, when the engine would start, the steering wheel would forcefully turn left to the stop. Front end is raised. Any explanation why that would occur? After that happens wheel moves freely. We have not attempted to bleed the system yet. We flushed 2 qts of fresh fluid through the system and fluid is clean now.

IIRC you can adjust the "neutral " position of the power steering control valve .
You must remove that alu cap of the control valve and adjust the screw/bolt so that you don't have any assist in left nor right turn when the steeringwheel doesn't rotate .
(explained in my best english )
B.

Thanks. I’m not a steering expert. So there is a control valve on the steering gearbox? And since it is turning left, I’ll adjust it right. I’m assuming it is pretty intuitive once I actually find the valve…..

Well , I got confused her Joecam1967 . I tought you had a 67 but I see you have a 73 mustang.
That i don't know how to tackle that failure but does it do it again after the system has bleeded from all air ??
To my knowledge , turn engine OFF , and rotate the steering wheel complete to the left and then completely to the right.
You can do this a few times. And check steering oil level after.
Run the engine and check what it does . My 2 eurocent.

It is a nightmare trying to find information on a 1973 power steering set-up on the internet. Most of the stuff I find says you have a control valve just like earlier mustangs but I can't be positive. If that is the case, Bruno is likely right that you may need to adjust the spool spring tension in the valve. Could also be that you haven't got the system bled properly and that is causing the spool malfunction leading the wheels going full left. Sorry, I know this isn't a simple or maybe even useful reply. I tried!

I believe that the 71-73 steeringbox is like a borgeson type steeringbox ??
The control valve sits inside the box.
Thus if it stills pulls to one or other direction , your control valve is shot. (spoolvalve)
I found a vid , but watch out for the language !!
steeringbox.jpg

Thanks. I think what happened is when I sent the car out for frame repair, the fabricator removed the steering gearbox to rebuild the frame, then reinstalled it. we put the new motor in, got it started, noticed the PS seized, replaced it and here we are. I wonder if his reinstallation is causing this problem.…..
2C3BB306-408C-450E-80D7-65891D6F8A47.jpeg

Was the car/steering operable and functioning properly prior to the frame repair? Doesn't really matter at this point, I'm just curious. I'm from the camp of rebuild/replace everything when restoring these old cars. Hell, I usually do everything at least twice...ask the guys here. :p To me its worth the expense and effort because it provides a high level of confidence when you hop in and head down the road that you'll be able to drive it right back into the garage later.

It was operable prior to the start of the restoration. Not that we drove the car a ton prior but did drive it a little and didn’t Notice any issue with steering. For background, I bought the car in October 2020. Pulled the motor to start restoration in June 2021. Got framed repaired car back in Feb 2022 and have been reinstalling/ rebuilding since.
so sounds like you guys are recommending a new steering box. What’s the difficulty level of that replacement?

First , I would be sure there is no air anymore in the system before buying a new one.
As said before , did you manually turn the steeringwheel lock to lock for several times ??
And did you run the engine afterwards ? whats the result ?
When you bought the car and drove for a little while , did you have to "hold" the steeringwheel into position to go straight ?
Maybe the car did pull to one side before you bought it and the previous owner did rebuilt front suspension to no avail ??
And that why he sold the car ??
Its interesting to know its history before tackling any job on the car.

Back