• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

PC nerds out there? Need help.

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
Any of you guys savvy on laptop workings?

For years I have been using a Dell laptop and a separate Dell monitor. The are connected through a junction box which has the keyboard, mouse, audio, monitor connected to the laptop via a USB cable.
I would turn the monitor on then the laptop and after going through its motions both monitors would show the same screen. Then I would close the laptop and work from the stand alone monitor.
I have Norton security which has been working fine for years. Well I did some type of latest upgrade and then I couldn't get anything to work. You know you do the usual and turn off everything and reboot. Did that and the side monitor is no longer recognized. I can turn it on but it goes to sleep mode right away since there is no connection with a PC.

I checked the laptop's system where you note or connect a monitor. It cannot find it. nothing. Plugged , unplugged, turn off - on...nothing.

Its like the monitor isn't connected...but it is.

Any ideas?

Sometimes you need to reboot the computer several times before all the updates are installed.
Just try it. Can't harm. My 2 cents.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Try this:

Press the "FN" and "F8" keys at the same time to switch the display to the external monitor. Press the keys together a second time to show your computer display on the external monitor and the laptop's LCD screen at the same time.

Bruno I have had it on and off for weeks now. Nothing

FN F8 keys do nothing. The Laptop doesn't know its there.

Not restart but actually shut down. A few times.
Or your computer suffers from dementia. Its probably an old computer.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I love the old man approach to technological issues. Turn it off and on again. Try a different outlet. Smack it on the side. I laugh because I'm just about equally capable myself.

Did you try to simply connect the monitor directly to the laptop? Bypassing the "docking station" type device? Do that to verify the issue is not with the laptop as I'm thinking it is the "hub" that the latest update doesn't like. I assume the keyboard and mouse are not working either, right?

Thanks Terry it was the docking station. Your suggestion worked...but for some reason the monitor has a orange tinge in the center
MMmmm.

Back