• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

One of Ford's Worst Ideas

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I had a 1973 headlight harness come in for refurbishment, and it was missing one of the front parking lamp housings. OK...no big deal, I have a few used harnesses that I can swipe one from. Oh...what's this? It has three pins, just like most turn signal switch connectors? Great! I have new pins if I need to. Uh oh...how do I get the existing pins out of the housing?

The 1973 front parking lamp housing is a two piece plastic housing that simply will not come apart; if it did, I still wouldn't have access to the pins. On the back side, there are three deep bosses that accept the pins, but there is no way to remove the pins. The pins go into a small hole and the lock lever cannot be accessed. What idiot thought of this?

So consider...some one has a front end collision and the parking lamp housing gets cracked. To replace it, you have to replace the entire headlight harness, probably a good $250 affair back in '73. Is that not stupid? The only reasonable repair is to splice in a replacement housing from another harness. So what did Ford offer back then to fix it? Replace the whole fricken' harness? Unbelievable...

And y'all thought not painting the inside of the cowl was stupid...

Back