• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oil Pump Shaft installed from the top?

Pulled the distributor to run down to the local dizzy/carb guru to have it recurved.
When I pulled it, the oil pump shaft came with it. A twist popped it free from the distributor.
Noticed that the pointed side was facing down too. (Which I don't think is right)

So, I'm stuck at a crossroad here. Picking up the distributor in the morning..... Can I fish the oil pump shaft in from the top?
(No, it didn't have the little star holder on it)

Really not wanting to pull the pan if possible.
Seen this video and figured I probably good based on this guys direction. Any thoughts or tips? Could I not just put a dab of silicone on the end of the distributor and fish the whole thing as a unit?

Worst that can happen is the thing falls out of place while you are trying to install it and you're forced then to drop the pan. Me, instead of trying to install it connected to the distributor I'd rig up a tool to use to drop it in place then install the distributor. Reason being, it will play out to be easier this way as you'll need to be aligning the hex shaped shaft into both the pump and the distributor either way but having it located in the pump while dropping in the distributor makes it easier to align things while ALSO getting the distributor rotor correctly positioned for engine timing.

I agree with rigging up a tool vs siliconing it to the distributor. The correct answer though is to drop the pan and add the star washer thing so this doesn't happen next time.

For what it's worth, got it replanted in the oil pump. It was actually very easy.

So, I grabbed a straw from one of those "bubba water cups" from walmart. It's a little bigger and thicker than a standard straw. Soaked it in hot water for a few minutes. Then wedged the shaft in there about a half inch. Ran it under cold water. (Think mouth guard molding)

Then stuck my light down next to the cam gear and fished it into the oil pump. Made sure it was definitely seated in the hex. Removed it and did it a few more times to make sure I was ready to remove the straw.

Grabbed an 1/8" tig rod. Slid it down the straw and held the oil pump shaft tight into the oil pump and pulled the straw straight up.

Back in the pump.

Attachments

• 20200215_182621.jpg
    20200215_182621.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200215_182434.jpg
    20200215_182434.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200215_183045.jpg
    20200215_183045.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 14
Well done. Now when you go to stab the distributor make sure you put a glob of break in grease or similar in to the hole the pump shaft will seat into. This way as you work to get the dizzy orientated correctly and the shaft to align and seat up into it you don't pull it out again.

Back