• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How important is a Monte Carlo bar?

jcs67stang

Greetings,

I've run into a bit of a snag. I went with SoT components for suspension and chassis stiffening including Shaun's billet export brace, which looks really nice. The problem I have is with the matching quick-release monte carlo bar, apparently it won't clear my distributor if I mount it in the recommended location. That sucks! Here are my options as I see them:

1. Go naked! No monte carlo bar. Not my preferred choice but worth considering if it's safe...I'm not sure how much I'm giving up if I drive without one. Is there a safety concern with this option?

2. Related to Option 1 above ... wait for Shaun to design a quick-release bar that will clear my distributor and matches his export brace. (hint hint Shaun). I know of a nice '67 test mule for this product.

3. Get the quick release bar and mount it in front of the distributor. Not being a mechanical or structural engineer, I'm not sure what the implications/concerns would be of simply moving the bar forward...away from shock towers. I noticed that one of SoT's competitors does this but uses truses to tie the bar to the towers.

4. Get a curved bar. It won't match the export brace, could go stainless or black...don't think this is available in billet. Curved is not ideal but might be better than the naked option...but it won't match. Hell I might as well paint it pink at that point. :-(

5. Rip out the SoT billet export brace and go with something completly differnt. I'd hate to go this route, I really like the SoT bits.

What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks,
JC

This is a pic from where the bar sits above the dizzy.
I was thinking of bending the bar but decided to move it abit more up front.
In this case , I drilled 1 hole more on each side so I could move it without drilling too much holes.
Of course its better the closer to the shocktowers.

Attachments

• DSCI1018_zps84efea4b.JPG
    DSCI1018_zps84efea4b.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 49
You do realize that millions and millions of these cars were built, sold and driven for decades without a monte carlo bar at all, right? That it wasn't a standard factory piece? The export brace or individual stamped/formed "bars" in the case of the first years was all the factory used.

I don't have one on my car and it handles better than my '14 ever did and it has more torque and power as well. I have seen zero reason to need one.

You do realize that millions and millions of these cars were built, sold and driven for decades without a monte carlo bar at all, right? That it wasn't a standard factory piece? The export brace or individual stamped/formed "bars" in the case of the first years was all the factory used.

I don't have one on my car and it handles better than my '14 ever did and it has more torque and power as well. I have seen zero reason to need one.

Yep, I know that and I get it, but I'm not using the standard stamped braces anymore, was not sure if a billet tube in place of the stamped export brace changed the calculus at all...thereby necessitating a monte carlo bar?

I think all mustangs exported to europe did got the monte carlo bar. ( Cause we drive faster and harder !! LOL )

Yep, I know that and I get it, but I'm not using the standard stamped braces anymore, was not sure if a billet tube in place of the stamped export brace changed the calculus at all...thereby necessitating a monte carlo bar?
The export bars simply brace the towers against the rigid firewall to prevent flex in the front metal. This is by far more critical than the Monte Carlo bar. Shawn's piece (which I also have) does a great job. At least equal to the stamped stock pieces if installed correctly.
The MC bar really doesn't do anything on a street car. The stiffness of the towers combined with the frame rails and tied into the firewall by the export brace give all you need, really. Hell, the engine itself (mounted as it is) ties the towers together too.

Don't lose sleep over not using one.

While I kinda agree with Mr Grumpy (TERRY), If you want to move the MC bar to clear the distributor, I see no problem with it.

I see this question all the time, I just don’t see the reason for it. My bar clears a stock distributor cap just fine.

Mark

Good Golly, Miss Molly, I agree with both Terry and Mark on this. Monte Carlo bar is not required, but shock tower braces (factory or export braces) are. If you are going autocrossing or racing, a MC bar might help a bit in keeping your front end geometry a bit more rigid, but many racers do not run a MC bar either (well, the really good racers have integral roll cages to stiffen things up).

As for me, I prefer mounting members of the female persuasion rather than Monte Carlo bars...

My theory is that a typical classic mustang front suspension benefits with a monte carlo bar. Why do many have cracks in the shocktower ?
As todays car have a McPherson front suspension and only the weight of the car sits on the "shocktower".
Just my 2 eurocent.

My theory is that a typical classic mustang front suspension benefits with a monte carlo bar. Why do many have cracks in the shocktower ?
As todays car have a McPherson front suspension and only the weight of the car sits on the "shocktower".
Just my 2 eurocent.
The cracks in the shock tower develop because of engine torque. The cracks occur around the points of the engine mount connection. This is why the later BB cars saw shock tower reinforcements. If you saw cracks originating where the control arms mount you could try and blame suspension forces.

A MC bar is meant to keep the inner fender from flexing inward is response to extreme forces created in hard cornering. As in racing. With a very good suspension which is able to "stick" the tire to the pavement. Very few street cars will have a set-up and components that do this well enough to require one. Let alone being driven to that extent. They are a racing component that many find cosmetically appealing for their cars. Personally, I think they just get in the way and distract from the view of a beautiful engine! Insert gratuitous pic of my engine bay...

IMG_3141.jpg

Oh, it's mine. And it gets driven. At least when I'm home. I put some 1200 miles on it this summer just tooling around on available weekends. Got a trip planned this month which will add some hundreds more if the weather cooperates. I've gotten to the point I take it to the hardware store and such whenever possible. Built to drive. Can't help if I like to keep it clean. ;)

Back