• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Going to order parts next week...

manley

Member
I'm getting a bit more of a bonus at work than I originally estimated... so... it's on! I thought about buying shocks now, but since the car won't see the road for potentially a couple more years, I'm going to wait.

I'm going to buy:

roller spring perches
upper control arms
lower control arms
1" drop springs
4.5 mid-eye leaf springs
'70 manual steering rebuild kit

Please! Anyone that sees anything wrong with my choices let me know! I am going to do the Shelby/Arning drop and bought the template from John awhile back. Just need that darn 17/32" drill bit! Ha.

I am going to use my '70 Mustang disc brake spindles instead of my '69 disc brake spindles. I believe the drag link is the same for '69 and '70, so it should not be an issue to reuse what I have.

My choices in coils and leafs come from researching what others are using here and on VMF.

Like I said, any input is appreciated!
 

TB350

Member
Donator
Sounds like good choices to me!, can't help with the drag link question though as mine is a 65. But I do have an extra 17/32" bit, pm me your address and I'll send it to you. kip
 

Opentracker

Active Member
The drag link on the 70 is different than the 69. The 70 uses different tie rod ends than the 69 so you will need 69 tie rod ends for the 69 parts and 70 tie rods for the 70 parts.

Your list looks fine to me too. I have that set up on my car.

For the 1" drop, I drill the hole to 1/2" and then go in there with a round file and clean it up a little. That will get you that extra 32nd of an inch.

John
 

TB350

Member
Donator
"Opentracker" said:
For the 1" drop, I drill the hole to 1/2" and then go in there with a round file and clean it up a little. That will get you that extra 32nd of an inch.
John
Thats how I actually did it too, thought I would jam the drill bit trying to go from the 1/2 to 17/32. kip
 

manley

Member
"TB350" said:
Thats how I actually did it too, thought I would jam the drill bit trying to go from the 1/2 to 17/32. kip
The file idea sounds like a pretty good idea. I can see the situation you described happening.... which would then need a file to fix anyway probably. lol I think I'll use a file since you all have had success with it. Thanks for the drill bit offer, though!
 

manley

Member
"Opentracker" said:
The drag link on the 70 is different than the 69. The 70 uses different tie rod ends than the 69 so you will need 69 tie rod ends for the 69 parts and 70 tie rods for the 70 parts.

Your list looks fine to me too. I have that set up on my car.

For the 1" drop, I drill the hole to 1/2" and then go in there with a round file and clean it up a little. That will get you that extra 32nd of an inch.

John
I'm going to check my drag link today to see if there is a part code on it. I swapped out the factory power steering for manual steering long ago and at this point, I have forgotten where I got the manual setup. Once I figure that out, I'm ready to place my order! Can't wait!
 
Top