• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Developed a Squeak

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
So I have just about 600 miles logged on the car and everything has been really good. No issues. Went to a gathering this past weekend that had me having to drive across a fairly uneven grass field for parking. Also the same along a slanted path to get on a race track where the ground had at least a 10% pitch at times. Now I have an annoying front suspension squeak I have to track down. It's on the passenger side only.

Upper A-arm is a stock type set-up by John at OPR and it is packed with grease.
Lower arm is also from OPR but has roller bearings.
Roller perches as well
New shocks
Poly coil spring insulator (1/2")

I took the sway bar off and re-greased all the poly bushings.

I can "feel" the noise by placing my hand on the top shock mount and rocking the suspension. My guess is I must have had the suspension travel more than it does on a paved road and maybe the load weight shifted enough the coil spring moved a bit? The springs are shorter and much stiffer than stock, to the point I can pull them without using compressor if I disconnect the strut rod and allow the suspension to hang enough.

So looking for any other thoughts or experience along this line. Do I need to go with a rubber insulator maybe? Can I "grease" the poly piece? I'm thinking the squeak is the insulator rubbing on the body.

Any thoughts appreciated. Hope to tear into it later today.

Did you tighten the bolts of the suspension when the car "sits" on its suspension ? You should do it this way.

Did you tighten the bolts of the suspension when the car "sits" on its suspension ? You should do it this way.
I did. I went back after probably 100 miles or so and re-torqued everything as well. I got 600 miles on it before this noise started so it's kind of strange. All new parts so not like anything has worn out.

Finally we found a job for {.}. I mean if he can't hear the exact location, no one could!

UPDATE: Still squeaking. :mad:

I took the coil spring out inspected everything, looking for signs of rubbing, etc. Found nothing. Coated the upper insulator in grease as well as the upper surfaces of the inner tower and top of spring...anything that touched anything got greased. Pumped a bit more grease into everything too. Ball joints, upper arm bushings, etc. With the car on a stand, put a jack under the suspension and worked it up and down and got not a sound. Smooth as can be. Put the tire back on, bounce the front and loud as ever it came back. I can "feel" it by placing my hand on the shock cap. I swear it is coming from the tower.

My car has Shawn's export brace set-up. I tried without it. With it just snug. With it cranked with some force. Nothing changes. Mind you, this is only coming from the passenger side. The drivers side is silent. It was put together EXACTLY the same way originally. Same parts, obviously.

I am using polyurethane bushings in my engine mounts. They are an adjustable style that allow front to back and up and down adjustment. I sprayed some lubricant onto them as well. Maybe I need to pull them apart and grease them too. Find it hard to accept it could be from down there though. They do attach to the tower so I suppose its possible the sound could travel up into it. As a reminder the first thing I did was grease up the sway bar and the sound happens with it attached or not so can't say it is contributing.

Could this be the metal structure itself in some way making this noise?

Driving me crazy to to figure it out!

Last edited:
Just means it's time to pull out that suspension that has what 800 miles on it? And order yourself one of Shaun's coilover setup's for the front.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Back