• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

CA-MITM....prelim

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
OK since it was suggested we start up Meet-In-The-Middle (of California) due to the yearly get-together of Knotts is no longer I thought I would get some preliminary input as to where (Pismo is also my choice) and when....oh and who?
Oh and lets bring the Mustangs as you would to Knotts.

So join in and let us know your preferences...make it short.

KBMWRS
Where: Pismo (Kon Tiki Inn)
When: April (keep in about the time Knotts was)

Last edited:
The "When" for the Classics at Pismo Beach event is Memorial Day weekend, 2020. This appears to be the "Big" car event weekend there and appears to draw about 1000 cars and 120K people. Might be worth looking into.

Info: https://www.theclassicatpismobeach....I9RTZXQbSxVSXaYO_d7kTahYKfs-dCmk08m35Eww2u7DI
I'm good with any time in Pismo. My Grandson loves car shows. Amber and I go there frequently since two of my kids live there.

There's great places to eat and lots to do.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was thinking more of just us. 1,000 cars means jacked up hotel rates.
Mike:

You are right about the surge pricing for everything. As far as Kon Tiki, I find it curious that of all the hotels that have an online presence, they are the only one without posted rates. What is the deal with that?

In any event, what room rate range are you expecting? Are there other local hotels in Pismo, Shell, or Avila Beach that fit your ocean front profile?

I'll have to look but there is another place with walk to beach access in Pismo that is super nice.

There are a couple more that are nice all suite hotels just not on the water.

Mel

I am up for Pismo, but think we should avoid the holiday weekends and the big car show weekend. Hard to get a hotel anywhere in the area during that event. April would be a good time of year (just avoid spring break weeks/Easter)

I suggest April 17-19, 2020. That would have been the weekend we were all used to down at Knotts.

I just like KonTiki because I would get a ground floor where we could spread out on the lawn overlooking the ocean as a group and not packed into a room. Everyone else does not need to stay there but I understand there would be a problem of drinking and driving back to a motel...not good.

I'm willing to change if someone knows of a motel that has a ground floor we could spread outside at like we did at Knotts and KonTiki.

I guess I'm a creature of habit....of the known, when it comes to groups.
With Kon Tiki I know parking is ample. All rooms have ocean views. Lawn patio is available. We can walk to cinnamon bun place, Italian restaurant and downtown/pier. And beach is down some stairs.

For Saturday activity we could do a cruise to Solvang (back roads) OR
Do some dune buggy driving at Pismo. The reason I mention this is because there are legal battles coming which will close most of the beach/dunes to motor vehicles. 2020 may be the last year to try this. I'm not sure if there is an option of driving your own (rental) buggy/quad or go on a tour (passenger) but that can be checked into.

Dinners...Friday & Saturday
Pismo (walking distance): Flagship (next to Kon Tiki)
Giuseppes Italian (is it open now?)
Rosas Italian
South on 101: AJ Spurs Saloon
North on 101: McLintock's Saloon

Again ALL this is suggestions. If someone likes something else...throw it out there.

sounds like a great plan to me! I have never stayed at a hotel in Pismo (always RV it) so I will have to leave that to everyone else to decide. A cruise to Solvang or Morro Bay/Cayucos would be fun. As for the dunes, there are a couple rental places in Grover beach that rent ATVs as well as dune buggies. There are also a couple tour companies that take you for a ride out there, they used Hummers at one time. Just know the dunes are pretty small, and could be crowded that time of year.

Room at the Kon Tiki for trailer parking? Barney hates to drive on the highway!

I suggest April 17-19, 2020. That would have been the weekend we were all used to down at Knotts.

I just like KonTiki because I would get a ground floor where we could spread out on the lawn overlooking the ocean as a group and not packed into a room. Everyone else does not need to stay there but I understand there would be a problem of drinking and driving back to a motel...not good.

I'm willing to change if someone knows of a motel that has a ground floor we could spread outside at like we did at Knotts and KonTiki.

I guess I'm a creature of habit....of the known, when it comes to groups.
With Kon Tiki I know parking is ample. All rooms have ocean views. Lawn patio is available. We can walk to cinnamon bun place, Italian restaurant and downtown/pier. And beach is down some stairs.

For Saturday activity we could do a cruise to Solvang (back roads) OR
Do some dune buggy driving at Pismo. The reason I mention this is because there are legal battles coming which will close most of the beach/dunes to motor vehicles. 2020 may be the last year to try this. I'm not sure if there is an option of driving your own (rental) buggy/quad or go on a tour (passenger) but that can be checked into.

Dinners...Friday & Saturday
Pismo (walking distance): Flagship (next to Kon Tiki)
Giuseppes Italian (is it open now?)
Rosas Italian
South on 101: AJ Spurs Saloon
North on 101: McLintock's Saloon

Again ALL this is suggestions. If someone likes something else...throw it out there.
There's one that has a courtyard with a BBQ area and all suits. I'll get the name from Amber.

The Kon Tiki is very nice and I'm ok anywhere since I'll likely be at my kids house.

The dates sound good to me.

Mel

sounds like a great plan to me! I have never stayed at a hotel in Pismo (always RV it) so I will have to leave that to everyone else to decide. A cruise to Solvang or Morro Bay/Cayucos would be fun. As for the dunes, there are a couple rental places in Grover beach that rent ATVs as well as dune buggies. There are also a couple tour companies that take you for a ride out there, they used Hummers at one time. Just know the dunes are pretty small, and could be crowded that time of year.

Room at the Kon Tiki for trailer parking? Barney hates to drive on the highway!
I parked my trailer there one year. I called ahead and the coned off a spot.

BJs is a good rental. My brother who passed was a good friend of the owner. Don't know if that will get me anywhere. I can Chen when we are there for Christmas.

Mel

Amber said the hotel was Oxford suites. I think Kontiki is better.

As for a dinner place AJ Spurs is awesome as it McClintocks. Both on the pricey side but it is worth it. There is an Italian restaurant called Rosa's that is super awesome.

I'll look in to rental ATVs and side by sides in December when I'm there. I'll need a head count. The more we rent the better deal we'll get

Mel

Headcount may be a little early. Ask about 10 ...we should have that many.

Rosas is walking distance...a good stretch of the legs (far end of town).

Hmmm...

I can't commit yet, but I'd like to come. Might have to delay the T5 swap until after April, as I'm not sure I can finish it up before then.

AJ Spurs and McClintock's are both decent for the area, but Jocko's down in Nipomo is by far the best steakhouse in the county. It's about 20-30min down 101.

For Italian, Giuseppe's is the place. My wife and I had our reception dinner there. Not sure if they can accommodate 10+ people though, we would have to ask.

For those that don't remember, I used to live in SLO, and am very familiar with the area. If I can swing it, I'll come down. Would be nice to stretch the legs on the car.

Hmmm...

I can't commit yet, but I'd like to come. Might have to delay the T5 swap until after April, as I'm not sure I can finish it up before then.

AJ Spurs and McClintock's are both decent for the area, but Jocko's down in Nipomo is by far the best steakhouse in the county. It's about 20-30min down 101.

For Italian, Giuseppe's is the place. My wife and I had our reception dinner there. Not sure if they can accommodate 10+ people though, we would have to ask.

For those that don't remember, I used to live in SLO, and am very familiar with the area. If I can swing it, I'll come down. Would be nice to stretch the legs on the car.
My kids live in Nipomo not far from Joko's. We don't think they are better. We drive to AJ Spurs. Besides AJ Spurs will be closer to Kon Tiki.

I will be there for Christmas week and will scope out some things.

Mel

I am good with the date. My only concern is that is the end of Easter week so we may have problems getting decent rates on rooms, or even rooms for that matter. For some reason Kon Tiki does not list rates on their website.

Kon Tiki is old school, you need to use the phone part of your smartphone to find out.

Jocko's is way better than other 2.

I don't know if we can go because we are planning our ten year wedding anniversary trip the month before and we were planning to go to Pismo Beach.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Well if we pick the week before then we are ON Easter. The weekend after is well the weekend AFTER. Why would rates be impacted?

Need to lock in a date then we can investigate rates.

Back