• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another Type of Horse - Early Bronco Build

kb3

This is a build that was started 23 years ago. Somehow life always seemed to get in the way and this project was always on the back burner. It is a traditional "while you are at it" type project. My wife surprised me with the purchase of a 1977 Bronco more than 28 years ago. We were a young couple with no kids, but it was hard to make ends meet so improvements were few and far between. I drove it as I got it for several years. Used it as a daily driver, pulled my dirt bike trailer and just used the heck out of it. The first picture below shows it basically how it was when we bought it. All original with the exception of cut fenders and slightly oversized tires. Being a 77, it was the last year of the first generation Broncos and had all the goodies. 302 V8, C4 auto, power steering, power disc brakes, larger Dana 44 front axle and the one year only fuel doors.

Bronco oringinal.jpg

After a couple years in the as-is condition it needed tires. My wonderful wife went out and purchased my dream tire wheel combo (remember this was 1997 so don't knock the wheel choice). New 33x12.50 15" tires on new 10" wide polished aluminum wheels. What a look! The only problem is that after I put them on, they rubbed the body and suspension everywhere. It sat for awhile until I could save up money for a 3-1/2" suspension lift kit. New springs front and back, double shocks, all the goodies. I installed the lift and all was good, but I wanted to go further. I figured a "quick" frame off rebuild was in store so a plan was set.

With the help of my then 4 year old son we tore it down piece by piece. Doors, fenders, interior, engine, transmission, top, body, you name it. All of the parts were removed, boxed and stored away.

Bronco front.jpg

The body went to my parent's house while I got started on the frame and drive train. Or at least that was the plan. As I mentioned at the start, this project has been around for a bit. I moved the parts from house to house, garage to garage. Other projects came and went, the kid grew up, we bought a house with enough room for a shop, but the Bronco sat. In early 2013 I started construction on my workshop. I was finally going to be able to start on some of my projects, just needed to finish the shop first. 2014 brought a surprise, just after I got the shell of the shop put together I lost my job of 20 years. A setback, but not a stop. I continued to work on the shop as time and money allowed. Finally, by midsummer 2021 the shop was done, time to get to projects. The Bronco project is on! Stay tuned there is more to tell before we get to current day.

Bronco side.jpg

Very cool.

Those wheels are definitely a bit 90s, but I can't talk, my mustang has Foose wheels which are now getting pretty dated too.

Can't wait to see this thing get built.

I'll be watching this one.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Very cool.

Those wheels are definitely a bit 90s, but I can't talk, my mustang has Foose wheels which are now getting pretty dated too.

Can't wait to see this thing get built.

I'll be watching this one.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
The dilemma is what do I do with the wheels. The combo has less than 1,000 miles on them. Sure the tires need to go since they are over 20 years old, but do wheels come back into fad?

Powder coat those wheels black and they’d look modern.
Or sell it for $150k while the market’s hot.

I will never sell it, but yes they are going for stupid money. It is the truck I wanted when I was 16 but my parents you wouldn’t let me get. My widow or son will have to decide what to do with it!

Finally! I don't see anything wrong with the wheels. Retro build so why not retro wheels? Hold off on that decision until the end (or at least as long as you can) and see how it all comes together. Being aluminum you could do a lot with them in terms of changing the look. I'd look at cerakote as opposed to paint or powdercoat. If you maintain them in some fashion you would have a one-of-a-kind look nobody could copy (unless they held onto their 30 year old wheels too!).

Finally! I don't see anything wrong with the wheels. Retro build so why not retro wheels? Hold off on that decision until the end (or at least as long as you can) and see how it all comes together. Being aluminum you could do a lot with them in terms of changing the look. I'd look at cerakote as opposed to paint or powdercoat. If you maintain them in some fashion you would have a one-of-a-kind look nobody could copy (unless they held onto their 30 year old wheels too!).

Haha. Yes, I have been trying to find the time to start this thread, you of all people know how hard that is.

The wheels are staying for now as I need them to roll it around the shop. The plan is to have this thing on the road by the beginning of summer next year. May not make it, but it’s good to have goals.

I agree with Terry. Get those wheels flat black, get a different center cap and they’ll look like modern Method wheels. Looking forward to watching this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back