• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2006 Bad Window Switch

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
When I first got the car, the window would go down occasionally when I hit the button for the window to go up. I took it in, and they replaced the switch. It worked for a time, and started doing the same thing. I noticed that if the window went all the way down, a rather large "thunk" would occur.

Today, after the "thunk", the window would not automatically go all the way up; I now have to keep the button pressed to do so. I'm on an extended warranty, which should cover this. Question is: has anyone else run across this problem?

Have you gone thru the window reset process from the owners manual? It is just run the window up with the door closed and hold the switch for a few seconds after the window stops. I think 5 seconds. Then, window should function. Also, does the auto drop down work when you open the door?

Well well well! That did it! The owner's manual says this is typical when a battery has been discharged. Hmmmm....I wonder if my battery is about to give up the ghost?

BTW, I don't know about you, but I am still sore from Saturday wrenching on your car. I must really be outa shape. My knuckle has a bad burn mark due to your headers not cooling down enough before we started work. Owie. :vio

I have found the switch setting to go crazy if the switch is held for a longer than needed time for activating the up or down motion, but not held until movement stopped. Had to educate the wife a bit.....

I am sore too. Gotta get to doing more for sure. I have taken retirement to serious......

"Midlife" said:
Hmmmm....I wonder if my battery is about to give up the ghost?

Randy,

My battery gave up on the 4th of July. I did the basics, checked fluid level in the battery, put the charger on it and it still would not start. It was doing all kinds of weird stuff and making funny noises. I had it towed to my local Ford dealer (on a flatbed). They tried to jump start it as well and since that did not work they put their grubby fingerprints all over the deck lid when they pushed it to another bay. Oh and yes it was the battery. My '07 was 32 months old and just over 12k. I did a search on another forum that deals more with the S197's and did a search of "battery" Who would have guessed that Ford used crappy batteries and that is common for the battery to just take a dump. :doh Oh and mine did not give any signs beforehand. fd

Update: My passenger window stopped going up automatically this week as well. The manual said this is indicative of a battery power interruption. Say wha? So today, I examine the battery and the connectors very carefully, and found the negative connector all corroded up. Damn! Lemme tell you, that sucker is hard to remove! Once done, it took me nearly an hour to clean up all the corrosion I could, and not all of it could be done (inside the connector itself). Needless to say, I went and replaced the battery.

Folks say that terminal corrosion is not a precursor to battery failure, but every time in my 40 years experience, a battery fails within 2 months of corrosion being noticed.

Back