• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 Sportsroof door edge seal

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
Today Im replacing the seals on the trailing edges of my Mach 1 door glass. Pass. side went fine since it has always had the SS trim on the glass. The driv. side door glass didnt have the SS trim when I bought the car. Ive found a set of trim and prepped it to be attached to the glass. My question: what adhesive should be used to attach the SS trim piece to the glass? Non-hardening gasket sealer?

Ive posted this question on three other Mustang-specific websites and searched on Boss302.com and 428cobrajet.org and had a high number of views but no replies, Im a little surprised that no one has had this same question. One commenter said he would follow my post as both his door trim pieces had also fallen off. That being said I did some research and found the page below. I considered windshield urethane but for several reasons decided not to use it. I chose the Permatex clear RTV sealant/adhesive. It seemed really sticky, I put a small bead on the edge of the glass and a more generous bead inside the stainless steel trim trough. Push fit and held in place with tape. After 24 hours curing in the dining room Im going to give it a few gentle pushes and pulls. I dont want to be fixing this again after I get the glass mounted in the door.

https://gluefaq.com/best-glue-for-glass-to-metal/

Thanks for posting this video, the guys at WCCC are always a good resource. I havent seen this video, he doesnt name the adhesive but you can see the 3M logo so its likely their two-part window weld black adhesive 08609. I did find this product but didnt want to waste the rest of the tube, I needed about 1 ounce so I bought the Permatex.

Thanks for posting this video, the guys at WCCC are always a good resource. I havent seen this video, he doesnt name the adhesive but you can see the 3M logo so its likely their two-part window weld black adhesive 08609. I did find this product but didnt want to waste the rest of the tube, I needed about 1 ounce so I bought the Permatex.
FYI, I believe its 3M Channel Bonding and Sidelite Adhesive 08641

Back