1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

soooo... how much power can an 8" rear really handle?

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain/Mechanical' started by steveh326, Jan 10, 2019.

1. steveh326

steveh326 Active Member

my main planned upgrade for 2019 include a new posi with better gears, and probably rear disk brakes cause, well. as long as I am working in the area...

how much can an 8" rear end handle? at some point I will need to build another motor, but nothing radical or exotic. I know a 9" would be better, but it'll add a grand to the project. but it would add a lot more to have to do it twice...

thanks for opinions and advice.

2. guruatbol

guruatbol Always on vacation!

Quite a bit. What are you running?

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. B67FSTB

B67FSTB The NorCal dude from Belgium

I've heard they can handle 450-500 bhp.
    Torque numbers I don't know.

4. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

Unless you get really crazy in both the power you put through it and how you abuse it I highly doubt you'd "break" it. The stock axles are one of the weaker parts that you might want to replace. Stay away from slicks and the race track and you shouldn't have any worries.

5. steveh326

steveh326 Active Member

thanks everyone. just running a mostly stock 289 now with a couple bolt ons, my concern is for the future. once my budget recovers, my plan is to build a stroker for it. Maybe get close to 400hp in my dreams. I may look at the extra cost of adding 31 spline axles during the changes and call it a day.

thanks for the input.

6. guruatbol

guruatbol Always on vacation!

For that application the 8" should be fine. I ran a similar drivetrain in a 65 fb and beat on it with zero issues.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk