• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear quarter window (‘65 FB) scuffs

CUAviator

"I wanna go fast..."
Hey all, I’ve got some swirled scuff marks on the rear quarter windows (plexiglass) on my 65 FB.
Does anyone know if there is a way to buff those out? You can’t really get a finger nail into them, but they make the windows look cloudy.
(Funny side note - I took it into the shop for some work and the owner tapped on the glass, gave me a disgusted look, and said “seriously man? Plastic? Tell me this wasn’t your idea.” At least the mechanic knows what he’s doing).

If you have a local airport go there and seek out an A&P mechanic. They work with plastic aircraft windows all the time. Maybe one could help or suggest what to do.

Hey all, I’ve got some swirled scuff marks on the rear quarter windows (plexiglass) on my 65 FB.
I took it into the shop for some work and the owner tapped on the glass, gave me a disgusted look, and said “seriously man? Plastic? Tell me this wasn’t your idea.” At least the mechanic knows what he’s doing).
Maybe he was referring to the windows in place of the original louvers. I am not a fan. To me, for example, the louvers are the most iconic piece on a 65/66 and to remove them really tames the look of the whole car. I get why Shelby swapped 'em out but just not my cup of tea. Maybe he feels the same.

Maybe he was referring to the windows in place of the original louvers. I am not a fan. To me, for example, the louvers are the most iconic piece on a 65/66 and to remove them really tames the look of the whole car. I get why Shelby swapped 'em out but just not my cup of tea. Maybe he feels the same.
No, he thought they were supposed to be glass. He said a lot of other "questionable" stuff too. But like I said...at least the mechanic is top notch.
As for the windows themselves - they came with the car as a GT350 tribute. I initially wanted the louvers as well, but I'm glad I've got the windows now - helps with the blind spots, and when my kids sit back there, it's not like they are in a cave.

If you have a local airport go there and seek out an A&P mechanic. They work with plastic aircraft windows all the time. Maybe one could help or suggest what to do.
I'll give that a shot. Not sure if you noticed my username - but in the navy we don't try to buff that stuff out. It's easier to swap out the window...but they don't consider it "unacceptable" until I say the I almost crashed because I couldn't see out of the window.

you can use a series of extra fine sandpaper (600, 1000, 2000) and some of the MacGuire's (sp) polishing compounds.

Meguiar's makes a really good plastic cleaner and polish that I have used with great success. It's been a while since i purchased it but it's still good and works great. Iv'e also used very fine sandpaper that is used for plastic modeling. grit went all the way to 12000.

Back