1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Re-restoration in progress for some vintage racing

Discussion in 'The Track......' started by msell66, Jun 3, 2015.

1. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

I've decided to go vintage racing with the guys in Kansas City so I need to replace parts that have been on the car since I finished the resto back in 04. The car has seen a lot of track time and god knows how many engine mods ;-)

I have suspension parts from John and Shaun sitting in the shop and engine parts are pouring in as well. Once I remove the current street engine, there are a number of mods and chassis stiffening items to take care of. I have no illusions of being fast, but I do plan to have a ton of fun going W2W with some really good racers. It should be a hoot! (crap, I just scared Duane).

If the plan comes together, I hope to make the vintage race at the Kansas Speedway in September with HVR (http://www.heartlandvintageracing.com/)

tarafied1 likes this.
  2. huskinhano

huskinhano Member

Post lots of pictures Mark, I can't read or write.

3. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Hmmmm, pictures would give away secrets. Can't have that!

4. huskinhano

huskinhano Member

True! But I think you're going to see a night and day difference. Have you started yet?

5. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Just got back from a trip to Kansas. Got to see some of my parts...still waiting on the pistons to arrive so we can pre-assemble to zero deck the block.

The sweetness of a new Boss block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it even has the threaded mount for the equalizer bar!

[​IMG]

Here's what needs to be done to 289 heads to fit the Boss block. I few areas had to have material added that without, it would have uncovered the water jacket openings.

[​IMG]

6. Fst Blk

Fst Blk Well-Known Member

Whats the stoke your looking at on the boss block? Heard issues with a 3.4. Apparently the bores are pretty short on those block.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

7. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Std bore and stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Fst Blk

So 3 inch stroke?

9. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Yep. Vintage does not allow stroked engines in B production.

10. Fst Blk

Very cool. I'm guessing stock iron heads or could you run a iron tfs high port

11. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

I'm going to use 66 289 heads.

12. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Very similar to the heads that I ran on my 289.

13. Fst Blk

Cool, so the rules dictate stock irons. Wouldnt you see some gains from a set of ported gt40 style heads? Ive got a set of 69-70 351w heads laying around if you could use them

14. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

The 289 heads are going to make it easy to run a 13 to 1 compression. 351 heads are allowed though. All the R&D has been done on the 289 heads.

15. huskinhano

huskinhano Member

That's a pretty stout looking block! I think that'll be the last one you'll need to buy. I never would have thought there would be an issue with water passages. I'm thinking the BOSS 302 block could be bored just a little bit, wink wink.

16. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

I'm saving the bore for future needs. This engine will already have a lot more TQ & HP than the 289. I'll need to re-learn the car.

17. BobV

BobV Well-Known Member

Planning on a 1-piece crankshaft this time? :eek: {.}

tarafied1 likes this.
  18. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Yes, I'm paying EXTRA for that!!

19. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

You mean like learning the car not to blow up?

20. huskinhano

huskinhano Member

LOL, that's funny. I was at a shop where the owner showed me a 5.0 block that the crank broke in half and still ran.