• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"Phoenix" 65 Coupe to FB

Well now im getting serious
Street Or Track Coil Over front suspension, Camber kit, and Bump Stop kit
67 Spindles
67 Outer Tie Rods ends
2012 GT Disc Brake Conversion kit

Went to work today on the epas column.

still have a few things to figure out...Bearing in the top of both the top and bottom section to keep the steering shaft centered.

Im thinking ill put some l brackets on the bottom half to hold it to the firewall.20170311_173325.jpg 20170311_132733.jpg 20170311_124018.jpg

I have a plate with a spherical bearing bolted to the fire wall (first photo). The shaft/lower column is supported there. Also I had to make a bracket to hold the motor. The force that wants to turn the shaft wants to spin the column the opposite way. I used a big muffler clamp on the EPAS motor and then used a 1/8" thick aluminum bar drilled to the muffler clamp bolts and then mounted the other end on the brake pedal support. I heated the bar and bent it until I could get the shape I needed (lower photo).
DSCN0549.JPG IMG_2515.jpg

I also cut my steering shaft closer to the steering gearbox. I used a grinder to create the D shape and then used a U-joint on both ends to give me some flexibility between couplers.
IMG_0228.jpg
photo (21).jpg
photo (20).jpg

Very nice! I actually had the same idea with building a bracket, just havent figured it out yet. I need to remove the drivers side vent and so on

Is that an actual EPAS unit or is it from a donor of some sort?
I bought mine as a "kit" but I had to do a lot of fab work. I believe it is from a Saturn Vue or the same supplier anyway. It's new and not used. I used a 68 Mustang column because the turn signal wires run outside the steering column tube unlike my original 67 where they run inside. The 68 column looks much cleaner I think. However, I used the 67 turn signal collar so I could keep my steering wheel. That required some mods too. I also had the long shaft PS gear box so I had to cut it down and grind the D shape for the coupler. They supplied the unit and controller and a bunch of couplings but it required a lot of custom work to make it fit. I was happy with the stuff they supplied but for the money it could be done like Jeff is doing by sourcing all the parts individually. I was under the impression when I bought the kit it would be pretty much a bolt on deal but it wasn't. I think they may have more updated kits now but I bought this a few years ago. Very happy with EPAS. My car was originally a PS car but I took it off years ago when I put the big block in. The old stuff leaked and was in the way. But I'm getting old and it was getting to be a PITA to park.

Attachments

• basic kit.pdf
    889.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Cool. I've got my modified Trooper box that I've already got sorted out, but if I had it to over this would have been my method. The Trooper/Borgeson box is huge and caused all kinds of fitment issues with my 1 3/4 long tubes.

It really is surprisingly easy...Minus a couple details ive got it all sorted out in the matter of a day

Back