• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I need help from the F250 guys

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
I'm looking at replacing my 96 F150 so my wife can drive it instead of the GT350 we are ordering.

I don't want two new cars with huge payments so I've decided on a good used truck.

It has to have PW, PS, PDL, automatic and shift on the fly 4WD.

I found a 2006 F250 King Ranch 4x4. It has the infamous 6.0 L in it.

I know of the problems. It has not been bullet proofed.

It has the Banks exhaust and turbo and all receipts for everything ever done.

Under warranty between 50 and 80k miles it had the fuel injector harness, injector rail a couple injectors and the turbo replaced.

I doubt the turbo on it is said turbo.

The tires are Toyo tires and look near new.

The entire truck under, inside and everywhere is super clean. Zero wear on the seats. Some sticker goop on the lower dash and some dirt on the center console.

The truck was a tow behind for a motorhome. It has 194000 miles and 4727.6 hours.

It needs a water pump but only because the bearing is going on it. It doesn't overheat.

He is asking $14000 if I fix the WP and $15500 if he fixes it.

What are your thoughts on the mileage, hours and the 6.0?

Oh with the banks turbo and exhaust there is no DEF tank.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Mel - there are two types of 6.0s....those that have blown up and those that will! All kidding aside, I have known many 6.0 owners that had zero issues with their motors. The thing they all had in common was that they left them bone stock. As soon as you chip or modify them you are asking for problems. Even then, things will fail. Injector pumps, manifold gaskets, crank positioning sensors, etc. all can be replaced by a competent home mechanic. I would pass on a 6.0 myself. I had a 2008 6.4 that was a beast but loved the fuel. As Mark said, the 2011 ups are the trucks to look for, or a 99-03 7.3!

I had a 6.0 450 bucket truck at work. It had 175k on it when they finally replaced. It was a POS. Spent a lot of time at the dealer. All told I think the company spent 30k plus trying to keep it going. I would avoid a 6.0 at all cost. Got older and look for a 7.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a 2003 F250 with the 6.0. It has about 145k on the clock.

I have had ZERO problems with the engine. I did tear the turbo apart due to city driving by my wife.

I had to replace some of the sensors in the trans.

The truck has been great.

Only thing I did to it was put in a K&N air filter, Amsoil oil filter and housing and a Magnaflow turbo back 3" exhaust then I had to weld back in the Cat. CA now does inspections on diesels. Idiots!

Last edited:
I am torn. This truck is in such great shape. It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

I'll have to decide and tell the guy.

Thanks guys.

Mel

That's how I'm leaning. Just trying to figure out how I want to do it.

Mel

Ok, I drove it today. Unless you turn the Banks turbo up to the max, it is gutless!

The King Ranch seats were very hard and not comfortable.

So, I passed. Just not the right truck for me.

Mel

My 2000 7.3 will haul ass and pull a house off the foundation. I've had almost no problems with it since purchase in 04. Just regular maintenance. Closing in on 160k.

I pulled a 6500 lb trailer to South Dakota and Back with zero problems. Also had wife and son in tow. Went ove the Eisenhower tunnel with zero issues.

Lucky is always better than good - good takes work

Back