1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How are you coping with the 2018 federal government shutdown?

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by msell66, Dec 22, 2018.

1. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels as Fast as Possible Donator

Let us know if anyone is in dire straits and needs assistance.

Mark

tarafied1 and Fst Blk like this.
  2. Fst Blk

Fst Blk Well-Known Member

That’s good of you. My wife is affected but fortunately we are blessed to be sound without her income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Laurie S.

Laurie S. Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Doing just fine hanging out at my place in Mexico. Ironic, huh?

4. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I'm funded by the side of the gubbermint that hasn't been shut down.

On the other hand, I'm still dealing with Hurricane Michael (contractors, damage, etc.). Bought a 5th wheeler as the house is barely habitable and only to those who really want to rough it. The wife slipped on the RV steps the second night, breaking her tibia and fibula just above the ankle. Surgery was 2 days later; now's she's in the RV for the next 8-12 weeks while I play Nurse Maid. Pete and I built a handicap ramp last weekend. Oh, the AC went out in the house...

Could I use some assistance? Sure. Send all adult beverages to me!

5. Patrick Stapler

Patrick Stapler Active Member

Sub here. Still working OT.

6. sgtjunior

sgtjunior Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Mid, and I was just gonna say my rock glass was empty but now I feel bad. Fine, I'll pour my own

7. gsxrken

gsxrken Member

I’m OK with holding out until the government does what it’s supposed to do in the first place. We spend 4T and can’t find 5B? That’s like having $4,000... and not being able to spare a $5 bill. Disgusting.

rpm, mustangstofear and msell66 like this.
  8. Turnall

Turnall New Member

I made a couple dollar bills, still I feel the same...
    Allen

9. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

The border wall gofundme is almost 18M now and some idiot democrat says the government can't accept the money, and it has to be taxed, etc. They will use any obstructionist tactic they can to stop Trump.

rpm and mustangstofear like this.
  10. GypsyR

GypsyR just some guy

11. FordDude

FordDude Well-Known Dude Staff Member Moderator

Does that include the military? If so they need to work something out so they get paid.

fd

12. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Only those parts of the government that do not have an appropriations are furloughed. The military is not part of the furlough.

13. sgtjunior

sgtjunior Well-Known Member

Mid, was wondering, with the government shutdowns on the state level here in the past once the "crisis" was averted everyone got their back pay. Is it the same on the federal level?

14. Boom

Boom Active Member

I am active military, as mentioned our pay isn't affected. In the past when the various civilians that worked with us were furloughed they were back-payed once the budget was passed. They just had to make it until then.

I am 100% with the president on this. Keep it shutdown until they can find the chump change to build the wall. 5bn is nothing in the grand scheme of things as also mentioned.

FordDude and msell66 like this.
  15. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

In past "shut-downs" back pay was always given, as far as I can find. The media has followed the predicted path and keeps ushering out tales of government workers who are worried about missing rent payments, etc. rather than calling for the elected idiots to do their jobs.

16. Fst Blk

Fst Blk Well-Known Member

My wife is affected by this as she falls under homeland security. She will be back paid. She might miss out on a few holidays (she is unsure). This isn’t the first one we’ve been through. Taxes eat up that back pay though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

the government shut down? I hadn't noticed...

rpm, guruatbol and msell66 like this.
  18. FordDude

FordDude Well-Known Dude Staff Member Moderator

Our tenants daughter is a coastie and friends with my daughter on facybook. She was whining about not getting paid and starting a go fund me page. That is why I asked about the military.

fd

19. guruatbol

guruatbol Always on vacation!

When all the smoke clears everyone will get paid. That is why many banks will continue giving you your direct deposit until it's done.

Think of it like a paid vacation where you get paid when your vacation is over.

This is only for those furloughed.

A shutdown is really just a media talking point.

I went through a CA state shutdown. No problems at all. I know many people who have gone through federal ones and they all agree no problems. I spoke with Senator Lee a few months ago and he explained exactly the same thing as I did above.

Most importantly, DON'T PANIC!

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk