• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cash For Clunkers/Cap and Trade

tarafied1

As of last week, the Toyota Corolla small car was the top new vehicle purchased by people trading in clunkers, followed by the Honda Civic and Ford Focus compacts. Toyota's midsize Camry was fourth, while its gas-electric hybrid Prius was fifth, according to the government.

Way to boost the American economy Obama! Only one of the top 5 is an American car company... and don't start with that crap about Toyota's being built in the US. The profits still go to a Japanese company IN Japan!

Here is yet more good news...
Cap-and-Trade to Hurt Industry: Study
Source: American Metal Market
8/17/2009

Enacting the American Clean Energy and Security Act, the so-called cap-and-trade emissions legislation, would lead to a decline in industrial manufacturing, permanent job losses, higher energy costs and lower average household incomes, according to a recent study.

The Waxman-Markey bill (H.R.2454), which aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 83 percent by 2050 compared with 2005, has been approved by the House of Representatives, and the Senate is expected to unveil its version of the legislation next month. The domestic steel industry is opposed to the proposed legislation.

"This study confirms that the Waxman-Markey bill is an 'anti-jobs, anti-growth' piece of legislation. Further, leaders of countries such as China and India have made it clear they have no intention of reducing their own emissions," said Jay Timmons, executive vice president of the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM).

"Waxman-Markey would give an edge to overseas competitors, discouraging domestic investment and the creation of American jobs."

The NAM, the nation's largest industrial trade association, and the American Council for Capital Formation, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization advocating tax and environmental policies that promote economic growth, retained Science Applications International Corp. to analyze the potential costs related to the proposed legislation.

The study found that, if enacted, it would lead to a cumulative loss in gross domestic product (GDP) ranging between $2.2 trillion and $3.1 trillion by 2030. It also would lead to a further slowdown of the U.S. economy after 2020, when the free emission allowances are phased out.

By 2030, the annual GDP would be reduced by 1.8 percent, making it increasingly harder to meet government budgets. Manufacturing would show an immediate decline in 2012, and by 2030 industrial output would shrink by at least 5.3 percent, making the U.S. economy prone to recessions and unable to promote job growth.

The analysis also warns policy-makers to cautiously develop climate-change policies, acknowledging that if the problem is not addressed on a global scale the results will be negligible. The study, which took into account that nuclear energy may be available, suggests that energy prices will rise due to carbon permit fees and new energy-efficient standards.

By 2030, residential electricity prices are forecast to be as much as 50 percent higher and gasoline prices are predicted to be as much as 26 percent higher.

As for employment, the study said that between 2012 and 2030 U.S. employment levels will be reduced by between 420,000 and 610,000 jobs each year by the restrictions in the legislation. By 2030, as many as 2.4 million jobs could be permanently lost. It noted that as many of 66 percent of these jobs will specifically come from the manufacturing sector.

"At a time when our country is struggling to come out of our longest and deepest economic downturn since the Great Depression, lawmakers should be focused on policies that provide incentives for businesses so they can create jobs and grow," Timmons said.

In addition to a national survey, the potential law's impact on several key steelmaking states, including Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania, are addressed in the report. These states would be disproportionately harmed due to an extreme erosion of their economic base, the study concluded.

Re: Cash For Clunkers

yeah!!!!
GM starting to increase production and rehire workers was on the news last night.
The damn Government should stay out of business and let GM and Chrysler fail...put them all on the dole. And the financial jerks getting all that money. What a crock....they should have failed too and the world's economy should have collapse. Not many banks would have remained solvent. That would have showed them...yeah!!!!

Re: Cash For Clunkers

"KBMWRS" said:
yeah!!!!
GM starting to increase production and rehire workers was on the news last night.
we will see how long that lasts...

Interest in Cash for Clunkers may be waning, though, according to the Edmunds.com automotive Web site, because many customers waiting to buy have made their moves and because inventories have dropped and prices have risen.

Inquiries on the Web site were down 15 percent last week from this year's peak in late July.

"Now that there is plenty of money in the program and the most eager shoppers have already participated, the sense of urgency is gone," Edmunds CEO Jeremy Anwyl said in a statement.

"Inventories are getting lean and prices are climbing, giving consumers reasons to sit back."

The dealer I work for has 70 clunkers in stock and has yet to have one transaction approved.

Not looking too good. Bet a lot off dealers get hung out on this deal.

"Sluggo" said:
The dealer I work for has 70 clunkers in stock and has yet to have one transaction approved.

Not looking too good. Bet a lot off dealers get hung out on this deal.

No arguement ther...the Feds move slow.
But on the other hand if those cars they sold were still on their lots losing money because of the dealer's loans on them it may still be benificial to the dealers to have moved them. I'm guessing not all the claims will be honored but some sales are better than not having any.

Oh there's ramifications to any big move like this. Now their bitching that people aren't buying things because they spent all their money on new cars.

One day they say we need to save our money to be fiscally responsible and the next since we're saving there is no money in circulation, sales are down and companies will be hurt.

Ya can't win or please all.

We have done 213 clunker deals and haven't been paid on a single one. ALL TEN of the top traded in cars are American and only 2 of the top ten purchased are American. This program is stupid as fuck.

what really sucks is I can't trade a Prius and get a Mustang (to qualify for the rebate), I'm sure by now there are a few worthless Prius's because the batteries are junk and it will cost more to get rid of them and buy new ones than to buy a new car!

"KBMWRS" said:
yeah!!!!
The damn Government should stay out of business and let GM and Chrysler fail...put them all on the dole. And the financial jerks getting all that money. What a crock....they should have failed too and the world's economy should have collapse. Not many banks would have remained solvent. That would have showed them...yeah!!!!

Hell, why not hire workers. We've given 'em a shitload of money to do something. I don't care if you're GM or Morgan Stanley, bad business practice leads to bankruptcy. Period. Get a new freakin' staff that will run the place right. They wouldn't have went away anyway. They would have filed Chapter 11, restructured, and been at it again. It's all B.S. If the banks are making bad loans, car companies are running a shitty program, and securities firms are selling bad packages, SCREW 'EM. I'm sorry, why again were they doing this? Think politics played a role? And yes Mike, this has been going on a long time. Yes Mike, even through the Bush years. If I allow the company I work for to consistently lose money, what do you think will happen to me? I need to keep my job so I do whatever possible for the company to make money. WHATEVER. That's how you run a business. If my boss kept me around while I was running his company in the ground, he deserves to go under. Bailout my ass. Tarp my ass. Cash for clunkers my ass. I wonder how many of those cars bought under the c4c plan were gonna be bought anyway? It's a PAYOFF. Oh yeah, anyone see where the U.S. is giving Brazil (IIRC) a couple BILLION dollars to drill for oil? Now wait a minute. Why not take that (read our) money and drill for our own? Oh, we have to be green. Well WTF good is being "green" gonna do if we pay other people not to? Green my ass. It's ironic that Soros just pumped 800 million dollars (IIRC) into the "company" that we just gave that money to.

Cash for Clunkers program will end on Aug. 24, according to news reports late today. Gov't is running out of money.

How can they be running out of money if all we hear is the dealers have not gotten paid for anything or at least very little. Admin. must be more expensive than they thought.

Can't they just pay out with Monopoly money?
Ohh wait, they already are :expl

You beat me to it Pete. LMAO I think what the gov't means is c4c is ending because the DEALERS are out of money. My FIL did this deal and bought a Hyundai Sonata for the MIL. The dealer told him that Hyundai/Kia told all their dealers they (parent co.) would make sure the individual dealers got their money even if it meant coming out of Hyundai/Kia and them getting reimbursed when the gov't cut the check. At first I thought "That's a damn good business practice" but that was quickly replaced with "Damn, they know the dealers won't be getting paid anytime soon".

Back