• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Can headliner be stretched?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Having a real bear of a time getting the LH upper panel into position because of the taughtness of the headliner. Before I go and rip the puppy, can headliner be slighted heated to allow it to stretch a little?

uje2urap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be no. But if I was needing to try, I think steam heat would be a better bet at getting the fabric to give a bit.

Might be best to loosen it up a bit in that corner then fit the panel. You can shrink any small wrinkles out afterwards by misting a little water on it with a spray bottle & letting it sit outside closed up in the sun for a few hrs. A poor mans steamer of sorts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. That makes me special!

I've used the space heater before. Point that sucker in the door and fire it up. Everything inside gets toasty.

Craig,
I am having the exact same problem at the minute. I prob pulled the headliner a bit too tight at the back during the install. Let me know what works for you.

Try heating it with a hair dryer. I slit mine a bit under the fiberglass piece right where you are at. It was really tight there. I actually have very small tears in the upper corners because I tried to pull it too tight.

Iirc there is a bracket for the upper vent panel that you can use to secure the headliner there. It looks like your wrinkle needs to be pulled down and toward the rear of the car.

The guy who did my headliner is no longer with us, he passed away shortly after.

Should we get a Mustangs to Fear headliner with console????

"gtscode" said:
The guy who did my headliner is no longer with us, he passed away shortly after.

Should we get a Mustangs to Fear headliner with console????

That's probably one of the things I might have done differently on my car but, I had already bought my console.

It looks like he is close to getting that installed and he probably needs the practice.

I finally told the headliner, who's boss around here. So it gave in, only after some more heat and pressure here and there.

Thanks all for the input.

Hey, having the same problem as you. Why didn't you chime in on the other forum? :D

So you ended up heating and pushing? I had to drill new holes in the roof brackets, but even so, the FG panels aren't far enough apart so the center steel brackets go overtop of them where they shouldn't! Any problems iwth the headliner ripping? That's my big fear. It's pretty taught!

Smoking Meat forum? I'm there all the time. :shrug

Yes, just heating up a little and pushing. No rips or tears.

Back