1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Mustang EPAS and Manual Unisteer Rack and Pinion

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by 67stang, Sep 8, 2018.

1. 67stang

67stang Active Member

Here is the start: removing the old power steering and installing the the manual rack and pinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  2. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

3. 67stang

67stang Active Member

Since the rack will pretty much cover up the camber eccentric bolts I installed the loc-outs, they worked out great!! However the right side I used the original bolt and eccentric on the aft side and loc-out on the forward side, because the thickness of the loc-out and bolt head hits the rack.

Also it is true, when you cut out the one piece steering shaft make sure you cut it as close as you can (cabin side) near the firewall. Also I had to loosen up the exhaust to remove the gear box

Also it it tough by yourself to go back and forth and trim as necessary to fit the rack. So I used a Floor jack and it worked great.

I do have an issues with the tie rods. They came with 2 sets but both are to small. Hopefully Unisteer has a solution, if not I think mustangsteve has shims that might work.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. tarafied1

I have the ORP lock-out parts on my 67. I had them installed with an alignment because they are what controls your camber. Will you be able to get it aligned once the rack is on?

5. 67stang

67stang Active Member

Okay. The rack is mounted. A few setbacks. Just like the instructions stated I will need a mini starter. The regular starter was just to close.

Grinding takes time. I even had to grind the corners on the rack. But it is now mounted. I do have to say it sure seems very solid.

Waiting for some parts: correct tie rods, and firewall bearing (that i will have to mount).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. 67stang

67stang Active Member

Well the mini starter is in. OMG!! Wow this thing is awesome!! Not sure what brand it is but a local shop in town makes his own starters and had this laying around and advised it would work perfect. And he was right. Kind of glad I had to replace the starter. The clearance is perfect as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

Mini-starters are so much nicer than the hulking big stock units.

tarafied1 and Grabber70Mach like this.
  8. tarafied1

I went with a mini starter on the big block also.
    Also sharing a few pics of the EPAS motor for ya. I made a bracket that attaches to the brake pedal support to keep things from trying to rotate. I'ts hard to see but it works great. Sorry for the messy wiring, this was during install so I have cleaned itup a bit. Also it was an automatic when I installed it, now its a 5 speed. IMG_2514.jpg IMG_2515.jpg photo (22).jpg photo (19).jpg DSCN0550.JPG

9. Mach1 Driver

Mach1 Driver Active Member

wait a minute- did that come out of the pedal car?

tarafied1 likes this.
  10. KBMWRS

KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

Craig is great at working with minatures.

tarafied1 likes this.
  11. tarafied1

yeah, the pedal car was too hard to steer with my fat a$$ in it!

12. 67stang

67stang Active Member

Nicely done.

Here is my mock up. I will say this. It’s a lot of work!! Lol

[​IMG]

Grabber70Mach and tarafied1 like this.
  13. tarafied1

agreed!
    but looking good!